Man killed running from Davis emergency room, onto freeway
Davis County Jail
LAYTON — A 29-year-old Syracuse man is dead after he ran out of an emergency room and onto the freeway, where he was hit Thursday.
James William Flynn ran from security personnel at Davis Hospital and Medical Center, 1600 W. Antelope Drive, and headed down a freeway off-ramp, said Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce.
Flynn then dodged cars as he ran onto the outside lane of southbound I-15, where he was hit by two vehicles about 6:20 p.m., Royce said.
Flynn was taken back to Davis Hospital, where he died of his injuries, Royce said. A UHP trooper at the scene also reported one driver who hit him may have a minor concussion.
Officials did not know why Flynn ran Thursday, and they didn't disclose why he was at the hospital.
A search of court records indicates Flynn pleaded guilty in 2009 to attempted drug possession or use, a third-degree felony, and between 2003 and 2010 was convicted of possession of drug paraphernalia, misdemeanor assault, trespass and theft.
The accident and investigation closed two lanes of southbound I-15 and delayed traffic for more than two hours.
— McKenzie Romero
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11