Man killed running from Davis emergency room, onto freeway
Davis County Jail
LAYTON — A 29-year-old Syracuse man is dead after he ran out of an emergency room and onto the freeway, where he was hit Thursday.
James William Flynn ran from security personnel at Davis Hospital and Medical Center, 1600 W. Antelope Drive, and headed down a freeway off-ramp, said Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce.
Flynn then dodged cars as he ran onto the outside lane of southbound I-15, where he was hit by two vehicles about 6:20 p.m., Royce said.
Flynn was taken back to Davis Hospital, where he died of his injuries, Royce said. A UHP trooper at the scene also reported one driver who hit him may have a minor concussion.
Officials did not know why Flynn ran Thursday, and they didn't disclose why he was at the hospital.
A search of court records indicates Flynn pleaded guilty in 2009 to attempted drug possession or use, a third-degree felony, and between 2003 and 2010 was convicted of possession of drug paraphernalia, misdemeanor assault, trespass and theft.
The accident and investigation closed two lanes of southbound I-15 and delayed traffic for more than two hours.
— McKenzie Romero
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Police arrest 4 suspected in 33 'pillowcase...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 17
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13