Man killed running from Davis emergency room, onto freeway
Davis County Jail
LAYTON — A 29-year-old Syracuse man is dead after he ran out of an emergency room and onto the freeway, where he was hit Thursday.
James William Flynn ran from security personnel at Davis Hospital and Medical Center, 1600 W. Antelope Drive, and headed down a freeway off-ramp, said Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce.
Flynn then dodged cars as he ran onto the outside lane of southbound I-15, where he was hit by two vehicles about 6:20 p.m., Royce said.
Flynn was taken back to Davis Hospital, where he died of his injuries, Royce said. A UHP trooper at the scene also reported one driver who hit him may have a minor concussion.
Officials did not know why Flynn ran Thursday, and they didn't disclose why he was at the hospital.
A search of court records indicates Flynn pleaded guilty in 2009 to attempted drug possession or use, a third-degree felony, and between 2003 and 2010 was convicted of possession of drug paraphernalia, misdemeanor assault, trespass and theft.
The accident and investigation closed two lanes of southbound I-15 and delayed traffic for more than two hours.
— McKenzie Romero
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 59
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 42
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 40
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12