Police identify Hurricane man killed in New Year's fire
HURRICANE, Washington County — Hurricane police have identified the man who died in a trailer fire early New Year's Day.
A medical examiner identified the man as David Neilson, 31, who lived in the Hurricane area, Hurricane Police Sgt. Brandon Buell said.
Neilson was in a relationship with the woman who lived in the trailer, 43-year-old Stacy Barnard, who escaped the fire and was later booked into jail, Buell said. Barnard was charged Thursday in 5th District Court with aggravated arson, a first-degree felony.
Fire crews arrived about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday and found the trailer fully engulfed in flames. Barnard told them Neilson was still inside.
Investigators located burn marks from two ignition points, one at the front and a second at the back of the trailer, while arson dogs indicated an accelerant was present at both burn sites and on Barnard's hands, according to court documents.
Barnard told police she and Neilson had been drinking together before the fire started. Her cash-only bail was set at $100,000.
— McKenzie Romero
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Splashing through the city: Giant slip and...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 75
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 71
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Herbert on Common Core: 'We are going... 37
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14