SALT LAKE CITY — Charges against a man accused of abusing his girlfriend's 1-year-old son will likely be enhanced now that the baby has died, police said Thursday.
Brian Taylor, 24, was arrested for investigation of intentional child abuse after his girlfriend's son, Xander Toliver, was rushed to the hospital Friday for what was originally reported as a medical problem.
Doctors at Primary Children's Hospital called police after the boy arrived, and they reported possible child abuse when they discovered he had suffered massive head trauma.
Salt Lake City police announced Thursday that Xander had died. The baby turned 1 on Dec. 24.
Taylor was booked into Salt Lake County Jail after the baby was hospitalized Friday.
State court records show that Taylor has a minor criminal history in Utah, including a misdemeanor conviction earlier this year for selling tobacco products to a minor.
— McKenzie Romero
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- Bingham High students walk out over... 17
- Debates ready to start, third-party... 12