SALT LAKE CITY — Charges against a man accused of abusing his girlfriend's 1-year-old son will likely be enhanced now that the baby has died, police said Thursday.
Brian Taylor, 24, was arrested for investigation of intentional child abuse after his girlfriend's son, Xander Toliver, was rushed to the hospital Friday for what was originally reported as a medical problem.
Doctors at Primary Children's Hospital called police after the boy arrived, and they reported possible child abuse when they discovered he had suffered massive head trauma.
Salt Lake City police announced Thursday that Xander had died. The baby turned 1 on Dec. 24.
Taylor was booked into Salt Lake County Jail after the baby was hospitalized Friday.
State court records show that Taylor has a minor criminal history in Utah, including a misdemeanor conviction earlier this year for selling tobacco products to a minor.
— McKenzie Romero
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 50
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 36
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 13