SALT LAKE CITY — Charges against a man accused of abusing his girlfriend's 1-year-old son will likely be enhanced now that the baby has died, police said Thursday.
Brian Taylor, 24, was arrested for investigation of intentional child abuse after his girlfriend's son, Xander Toliver, was rushed to the hospital Friday for what was originally reported as a medical problem.
Doctors at Primary Children's Hospital called police after the boy arrived, and they reported possible child abuse when they discovered he had suffered massive head trauma.
Salt Lake City police announced Thursday that Xander had died. The baby turned 1 on Dec. 24.
Taylor was booked into Salt Lake County Jail after the baby was hospitalized Friday.
State court records show that Taylor has a minor criminal history in Utah, including a misdemeanor conviction earlier this year for selling tobacco products to a minor.
— McKenzie Romero
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12