SALT LAKE CITY — Charges against a man accused of abusing his girlfriend's 1-year-old son will likely be enhanced now that the baby has died, police said Thursday.
Brian Taylor, 24, was arrested for investigation of intentional child abuse after his girlfriend's son, Xander Toliver, was rushed to the hospital Friday for what was originally reported as a medical problem.
Doctors at Primary Children's Hospital called police after the boy arrived, and they reported possible child abuse when they discovered he had suffered massive head trauma.
Salt Lake City police announced Thursday that Xander had died. The baby turned 1 on Dec. 24.
Taylor was booked into Salt Lake County Jail after the baby was hospitalized Friday.
State court records show that Taylor has a minor criminal history in Utah, including a misdemeanor conviction earlier this year for selling tobacco products to a minor.
— McKenzie Romero
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Two suffer minor injuries in gyrocopter crash...
- Intermountain Healthcare taps new CEO
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11