Book review: '400 Questions and Answers About the Old Testament' is an excellent resource
Editor's note: The following is part of a series featuring select materials intended to supplement the study of church curriculum for 2014.
The recently released "400 Questions and Answers About the Old Testament" by Susan Easton Black is an excellent resource for those of all ages who seek to improve their understanding of the Old Testament.
The book is set up in a basic Q-and-A format. Some of the questions Black answers are: What is manna? Where is the Garden of Eden? What is the Feast of Purim?
"400 Questions and Answers About the Old Testament" gives very simple explanations of difficult concepts and symbols used in the Old Testament. It is suitable for those wishing to gain a basic understanding of the doctrine found within the Bible's books.
Black is a well-known professor of LDS Church history and doctrine at Brigham Young University. She has authored, edited and compiled more than 100 books and 250 articles.
Shelby Scoffield has a bachelor's degree in English from Brigham Young University and a master's in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 66
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 18
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 8
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3