SALT LAKE CITY — Calling back this unknown number may lead to unwanted cell phone charges.
Officials from the Utah Valley Dispatch Special Service District warn against picking up calls from 473-520-9734. The number is from a Grenada and apparently from a caller who claims to be in distress.
Those who call back are charged by the minute. Spanish Fork police and Utah Valley Dispatch reached out to their communities via Facebook and Twitter to warn people to not pick up the phone.
The scam doesn't appear to be new. News reports as far back as 2002 say answering or returning the call can lead to thousands of dollars in cellphone fees.
— Whitney Evans, Keira Farrimond
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 25
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22