SALT LAKE CITY — Calling back this unknown number may lead to unwanted cell phone charges.
Officials from the Utah Valley Dispatch Special Service District warn against picking up calls from 473-520-9734. The number is from a Grenada and apparently from a caller who claims to be in distress.
Those who call back are charged by the minute. Spanish Fork police and Utah Valley Dispatch reached out to their communities via Facebook and Twitter to warn people to not pick up the phone.
The scam doesn't appear to be new. News reports as far back as 2002 say answering or returning the call can lead to thousands of dollars in cellphone fees.
— Whitney Evans, Keira Farrimond
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Blue Moon Festival is Aug. 6 in Holladay
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 13
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10