Taylorsville woman shot in the face during domestic dispute
TAYLORSVILLE — A woman was shot in the face early Wednesday morning while apparently wrestling for control of a handgun during a domestic dispute with her husband, according to police.
Just before 12:30 a.m., officers were called to 2572 W. Surrey Road on a report of a shooting, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said.
"A husband and wife had actually been having a verbal argument inside their vehicle in front of their home," Hoyal said. "During that argument, a handgun was placed on the dash of the pickup truck they were sitting in."
Investigators were told the argument became more heated, and a "physical altercation over the gun took place between the husband and wife," Hoyal said.
"Each was trying to get to the gun," the lieutenant said. "During that confrontation, the gun went off and the wife was shot in the face."
The 48-year-old woman was taken to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, where she was initially listed in serious condition. She had been upgraded to stable condition Wednesday afternoon and is expected to survive, Hoyal said.
The case is still under investigation, but authorities believe the woman's husband is the one who pulled the trigger during the struggle over the gun.
Scott Ray Park, 51, was booked into jail for investigation of discharge of firearm during a domestic dispute.
"This could have had a much more tragic outcome," Hoyal said, "and it serves as a reminder that any time you're having an altercation or dispute, a firearm introduced in that situation can have tragic results."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17