Book review: 2nd volume of 'Verse by Verse' explores the Savior in the Old Testament
Editor's note: The following is part of a series featuring select materials intended to supplement the study of church curriculum for 2014.
"VERSE BY VERSE, THE OLD TESTAMENT, Vol. 2: 1 Kings through Malachi," by D. Kelly Ogden and Andrew C. Skinner, Deseret Book, $37.99, 492 pages (nf)
The Old Testament is unique among all the books of scripture. As readers open its pages with the spirit of revelation, they can read the same words and principles studied by the Savior during his mortal life.
In the second volume of "Verse By Verse, The Old Testament" commentary, Latter-day Saint scholars D. Kelly Ogden and Andrew C. Skinner state, “The unique and central aspect of our commentary is its focus on seeing Jesus Christ in the verses of the Old Testament.”
Accessible to the first-time reader and seasoned scholar alike, this masterful work sheds light on opaque verses by using latter-day scripture as commentary. The book, which covers 1 Kings through Malachi, excels in its seamless transitions, moving naturally from overarching history to profiles of figures foreshadowing the Savior, such as Joseph, Ruth, Job and Esther, to esoteric “textual problems and inconsistencies.”
As the authors explain, “This commentary is thus at the same time both comprehensive and easily understood.”
Both Ogden and Skinner have long histories teaching the principles of the gospel.
Ogden teaches in the Department of Ancient Scripture at Brigham Young University, has taught for more than a decade on field study trips in the Holy Land, and helped prepare editions of the scriptures for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Skinner, formerly a dean of religious education at BYU and member of the correlation evaluation committee of the LDS Church, is a prolific writer and a teacher of doctrine.
In addition to this commentary, the co-authors have published similar works on the New Testament and Book of Mormon.
Kurt Manwaring is a professional consultant and a student of the gospel. He maintains a personal blog at kurtsperspective.blogspot.com.
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere illusion?
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to...
- 10 accomplishments of the Relief Society
- Returned Mormon missionary chasing big league...
- Match the Relief Society presidents to their...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 113
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 71
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 40
- 'Cosmos' return puts science and... 36
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 31
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 27
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 23