Book review: 2nd volume of 'Verse by Verse' explores the Savior in the Old Testament
Editor's note: The following is part of a series featuring select materials intended to supplement the study of church curriculum for 2014.
"VERSE BY VERSE, THE OLD TESTAMENT, Vol. 2: 1 Kings through Malachi," by D. Kelly Ogden and Andrew C. Skinner, Deseret Book, $37.99, 492 pages (nf)
The Old Testament is unique among all the books of scripture. As readers open its pages with the spirit of revelation, they can read the same words and principles studied by the Savior during his mortal life.
In the second volume of "Verse By Verse, The Old Testament" commentary, Latter-day Saint scholars D. Kelly Ogden and Andrew C. Skinner state, “The unique and central aspect of our commentary is its focus on seeing Jesus Christ in the verses of the Old Testament.”
Accessible to the first-time reader and seasoned scholar alike, this masterful work sheds light on opaque verses by using latter-day scripture as commentary. The book, which covers 1 Kings through Malachi, excels in its seamless transitions, moving naturally from overarching history to profiles of figures foreshadowing the Savior, such as Joseph, Ruth, Job and Esther, to esoteric “textual problems and inconsistencies.”
As the authors explain, “This commentary is thus at the same time both comprehensive and easily understood.”
Both Ogden and Skinner have long histories teaching the principles of the gospel.
Ogden teaches in the Department of Ancient Scripture at Brigham Young University, has taught for more than a decade on field study trips in the Holy Land, and helped prepare editions of the scriptures for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Skinner, formerly a dean of religious education at BYU and member of the correlation evaluation committee of the LDS Church, is a prolific writer and a teacher of doctrine.
In addition to this commentary, the co-authors have published similar works on the New Testament and Book of Mormon.
Kurt Manwaring is a professional consultant and a student of the gospel. He maintains a personal blog at kurtsperspective.blogspot.com.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 72
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 64
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 47
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 40
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 29
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 17