Editor's note: The following is part of a series featuring select materials intended to supplement the study of church curriculum for 2014.
In "The Old Testament Explained Through Modern Revelation," Utah State alumnus Dan Barker presents Old Testament teachings alongside latter-day revelations, giving the reader greater clarity, deeper insights and more understanding.
Geared to the serious student or the curious reader, each chapter in the 370-page book covers a book of the Bible, so the reader can pick any chapter for specific study or start at the beginning in preparation for studying the Old Testament in Sunday School.
Within each chapter are subheadings for the major lesson points. Each point includes what the Bible teaches, what modern scripture teaches, and what modern revelation from prophets and apostles teaches. This organizes the material so that the major points and significant questions are answered from the perspectives of the Bible, modern scripture, and modern prophets and apostles. Reference citations are included for further study.
Barker opens with a history of the Bible’s accessibility, as well as Joseph Smith’s emphasis that it can be understood more accurately in Hebrew. This leads to Barker’s thesis that the Bible has been vitally important to the prophets of this dispensation.
"The Old Testament Explained Through Modern Revelation" is Barker's fourth book.
Emily Christensen lives with her husband in Oklahoma. Her doctorate is in marriage and family therapy and she is pursuing a second degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies. Her blog is housewifeclass.com and her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and...
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- LDS convert and influential friend reunite...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 104
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 76
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 76
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 71
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 61
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 46
- How much did President Obama donate to... 44