BYU women’s basketball won its 12th game of the season by defeating Pepperdine on Saturday, 65-50. The win leaves the Cougars at 2-0 in West Coast Conference play and tied for their best start in program history at 12-1.
BYU stays at the Marriott Center this week to play its third-straight home conference game. The Cougars host WCC newcomber Pacific on Thursday, Jan. 2 at 7 p.m. MST. The game will air live on BYUtv.
BYU has three players scoring in double figures, led by Jennifer Hamson who is scoring 19.6 points per game and has scored in double digits in all but one game played. Lexi Eaton follows with 16.0 points per game, and Kim Beeston contributes 12.4 points.
As a team, the Cougar women are averaging 75.6 points per game and holding opponents to 67.2 points. BYU has recorded more blocks than opponents in all games and has dished out more assists in 11 of the 12 games played to date. It has also recorded more rebounds in eight contests to date.
In the coaches’ preseason poll, BYU was picked to finish fourth in the WCC regular season race behind San Diego, Saint Mary’s and league favorite Gonzaga. Senior center Hamson was named to the preseason all-conference team, her second such honor.
WCC newcomer Pacific has compiled a 5-7, 0-2 record playing its first two league games at home.
The Tigers are averaging 73.8 points per game while holding opponents to 71.0 points per contest. Pacific has three players contributing double digits in points.
Pacific had an impressive season last year finishing with a 27-8 mark including a 14-4 record in the Big West Conference. It advanced to the Sweet Sixteen of the WNIT falling to Utah.
BYU leads the series, 5-1. When playing in Provo, the Tigers are 1-2 with their lone win, 65-62 coming on Dec. 19, 1992.
The last time these two teams played was on Dec. 30, 1998, with the Cougars getting the 59-50 win at the Marriott Center.
Royce Hinton is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- BYU's prolific offense undermined by poor...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 52
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 43
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball... 19
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies... 19