BYU basketball: Cougar fans outnumber WCC hosts for 2nd straight game
MALIBU, Calif. — For the second straight game on the road to open West Coast Conference play, BYU fans outdrew the home team during the holiday season when many students are away on break.
At Firestone Fieldhouse on the campus of Pepperdine University Monday night, Cougar fans outnumbered Wave fans by significant numbers.
Attendance was 2,317.
“It’s always this way,” said Brett Burningham, who lives in nearby Simi Valley. “I’d say every year BYU plays here it’s 70 percent BYU fans.” The disparity was about the same last Saturday at Loyola Marymount.
Former Cougar standout Travis Hansen, who lives in Orem, was in attendance Monday.
NOTES: For the third time in four road games beginning at Utah, the Cougar trailed at halftime against Pepperdine, this time by a 40-28 deficit. The Cougars have trailed opponents at the half five times this season. The Waves built their lead on the strength of 3-point shooting, making 6 of 11 while the Cougars went 0 of 5 from distance. ... Eleven NBA scouts were credentialed for the game.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Salt Lake City's Patrick Smyth reclaims...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 65
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24