Attorney General Sean Reyes takes oath, poised to appeal gay marriage ruling
Also expected to be appealed by the attorney general's office is another federal court ruling overturning Utah's ban on polygamy. Reyes said he is waiting for the final order to be issued before commenting.
He said it is not his intention to hire outside counsel in that case.
Reyes takes the place of former Attorney General John Swallow, who announced he was resigning in November amid investigations into allegations that include influence peddling.
Pledging a fresh start for the office, Reyes said he feels challenged rather than overwhelmed. He believes serving effectively will help him win election next November to the remainder of Swallow's term.
Lawmakers are already looking at legislation dealing with the marriage issue.
Rep. Jacob Anderegg, R-Orem, has a proposed constitutional amendment drafted that he plans to introduce in the 2014 Legislature that begins meeting late next month.
Anderegg said his amendment would prevent clergy from having to marry gay couples if that goes against their religious teachings. He said he came up with the proposal more than a year ago.
"I think it would give a level of comfort to the rank and file of the religious right," Anderegg said of the proposed amendment, which, if approved by the Utah Legislature would go before voters in November 2014.
He said there is already talk among lawmakers about more extensive proposals, including allowing business owners to turn down gay customers if serving them is in violation of their faith.
But Anderegg said he prefers a more narrow approach, at least for now.
"I want everyone to take a collective deep breath and relax. Just relax," he said. "This bill was not meant to be a slap on anybody."
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Utah artisan's handmade guitars gaining...
- Huntsville man with unreported history of...
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight with...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 70
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 16