‘Illustrated Bible Stories for Latter-day Saints’ offers beautiful re-tellings
Editor's note: The following is part of a series featuring select materials intended to supplement the study of church curriculum for 2014.
"ILLUSTRATED BIBLE STORIES FOR LATTER-DAY SAINTS," by Karmel Newell, illustrated by Brian Call, Deseret Book, $29.99, 168 pages
“Illustrated Bible Stories for Latter-day Saints” is a compilation of 83 Bible stories retold in a manner simple enough for children yet with enough detail to entrance adults. Author Karmel Newell, who is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, does a fabulous job retelling Old and New Testament stories, from the Creation to the Apostasy.
Each story is further explored by accompanying sidebars of information explaining biblical terminology and customs. Questions such as how many Israelites followed Moses out of Egypt and why would mourners rend their clothes are succinctly answered in this volume.
Illustrator Brian Call brings each Bible story to life in his beautiful, full-color pictures. While some of the more intense stories, such as the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, are illustrated, they are done so in a tactful manner that will not alarm children but still convey the importance of the event. Other pictures, such as of Jesus Christ’s ascension, help one to feel reverence just by gazing at the art.
“Illustrated Bible Stories for Latter-day Saints” is a book for all ages. A book that can be treated as a picture book and as a type of commentary, this volume can enrich every family’s collection and help make understanding the Bible easier.
Newell resides in Alpine and is a graduate of the University of Utah. Call lives in Ammon, Idaho, and graduated from Brigham Young University.
Elizabeth Reid has bachelor's degrees in economics and history. She has worked in retail, medical billing, catering, education and business fields. Her favorite occupation is that of wife and mother. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Picturing history: West Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Jerry Earl Johnston: At times the people we...
- Why many churches can't endorse political...
- LDS.org post opens arms to 'Pokemon Go' players
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at Republican...
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this...
- 5 diverse appeals to God that were just made...
- What's new: 'By the Voice of My Servants'...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 31
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this... 25
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 25
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22
- Why many churches can't endorse... 13
- Revealed: What a draft of the... 10
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- LDS.org post opens arms to 'Pokemon Go'... 9