‘Illustrated Bible Stories for Latter-day Saints’ offers beautiful re-tellings
Editor's note: The following is part of a series featuring select materials intended to supplement the study of church curriculum for 2014.
"ILLUSTRATED BIBLE STORIES FOR LATTER-DAY SAINTS," by Karmel Newell, illustrated by Brian Call, Deseret Book, $29.99, 168 pages
“Illustrated Bible Stories for Latter-day Saints” is a compilation of 83 Bible stories retold in a manner simple enough for children yet with enough detail to entrance adults. Author Karmel Newell, who is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, does a fabulous job retelling Old and New Testament stories, from the Creation to the Apostasy.
Each story is further explored by accompanying sidebars of information explaining biblical terminology and customs. Questions such as how many Israelites followed Moses out of Egypt and why would mourners rend their clothes are succinctly answered in this volume.
Illustrator Brian Call brings each Bible story to life in his beautiful, full-color pictures. While some of the more intense stories, such as the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, are illustrated, they are done so in a tactful manner that will not alarm children but still convey the importance of the event. Other pictures, such as of Jesus Christ’s ascension, help one to feel reverence just by gazing at the art.
“Illustrated Bible Stories for Latter-day Saints” is a book for all ages. A book that can be treated as a picture book and as a type of commentary, this volume can enrich every family’s collection and help make understanding the Bible easier.
Newell resides in Alpine and is a graduate of the University of Utah. Call lives in Ammon, Idaho, and graduated from Brigham Young University.
Elizabeth Reid has bachelor's degrees in economics and history. She has worked in retail, medical billing, catering, education and business fields. Her favorite occupation is that of wife and mother. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,...
- Can the return of 'Cosmos' extend the scope...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Church History Symposium examines Mormonism's...
- LDS World: Receiving comfort in our afflictions
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 89
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 63
- When Satan steals your motherhood 46
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after... 15
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from... 13