BYU men's volleyball: Cougars rally to complete weekend sweep of Winnipeg
Devin Young finished one kill away from a double-double as he added 10 blocks, and Rivera contributed seven blocks. As a team, BYU hit at a .301 clip and forced Winnipeg into 26 errors.
In the first set, BYU jumped out to an early 3-1 lead before Winnipeg fought back and took a 6-4 advantage. With the two teams trading points, the Cougars used a 4-0 run to grab the momentum and an 18-14 lead. The visitors battled back and ended the set on an 11-4 run to win, 25-22.
Winnipeg opened with a 12-9 lead in the second set before BYU came back and tied the score at 12-12. The visitors used a 10-4 run to push their lead to 22-16 and force the Cougars to call a timeout before eventually winning, 25-18.
BYU scored the first five points as it pulled out to an early 11-2 lead in the third set. After the early lead, the closest Winnipeg got was eight points at 14-8 as the Cougars cruised to a 25-13 win.
In the fourth set, the two teams traded points early as neither team was able to pull away by more than three points. A 3-1 run by BYU then gave it a 13-11 lead and forced Winnipeg to call a timeout. The Cougars pushed their lead to five points twice before winning, 25-21, to force the decisive fifth set.
Winnipeg jumped out to an early 5-3 lead in the final set to force BYU to call a timeout. The Cougars responded with a 7-4 run to take their first lead at 10-9 since leading 2-1 in the beginning of the set to force a timeout from the visitors. BYU scored five of the last seven points to win, 15-11.
BYU travels to Chicago for its first match of the regular season against Loyola on Jan. 3 at 7:00 CST.
Jared Houghton is a Sports Information Director who works in the BYU Athletic Communications with the men's and women's swimming teams. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions relating to swimming.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Branden Bowen commits...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 112
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 84
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads... 28