BYU men's volleyball: Cougars rally to complete weekend sweep of Winnipeg
Devin Young finished one kill away from a double-double as he added 10 blocks, and Rivera contributed seven blocks. As a team, BYU hit at a .301 clip and forced Winnipeg into 26 errors.
In the first set, BYU jumped out to an early 3-1 lead before Winnipeg fought back and took a 6-4 advantage. With the two teams trading points, the Cougars used a 4-0 run to grab the momentum and an 18-14 lead. The visitors battled back and ended the set on an 11-4 run to win, 25-22.
Winnipeg opened with a 12-9 lead in the second set before BYU came back and tied the score at 12-12. The visitors used a 10-4 run to push their lead to 22-16 and force the Cougars to call a timeout before eventually winning, 25-18.
BYU scored the first five points as it pulled out to an early 11-2 lead in the third set. After the early lead, the closest Winnipeg got was eight points at 14-8 as the Cougars cruised to a 25-13 win.
In the fourth set, the two teams traded points early as neither team was able to pull away by more than three points. A 3-1 run by BYU then gave it a 13-11 lead and forced Winnipeg to call a timeout. The Cougars pushed their lead to five points twice before winning, 25-21, to force the decisive fifth set.
Winnipeg jumped out to an early 5-3 lead in the final set to force BYU to call a timeout. The Cougars responded with a 7-4 run to take their first lead at 10-9 since leading 2-1 in the beginning of the set to force a timeout from the visitors. BYU scored five of the last seven points to win, 15-11.
BYU travels to Chicago for its first match of the regular season against Loyola on Jan. 3 at 7:00 CST.
Jared Houghton is a Sports Information Director who works in the BYU Athletic Communications with the men's and women's swimming teams. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions relating to swimming.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20