BYU men's volleyball: Cougars rally to complete weekend sweep of Winnipeg
Devin Young finished one kill away from a double-double as he added 10 blocks, and Rivera contributed seven blocks. As a team, BYU hit at a .301 clip and forced Winnipeg into 26 errors.
In the first set, BYU jumped out to an early 3-1 lead before Winnipeg fought back and took a 6-4 advantage. With the two teams trading points, the Cougars used a 4-0 run to grab the momentum and an 18-14 lead. The visitors battled back and ended the set on an 11-4 run to win, 25-22.
Winnipeg opened with a 12-9 lead in the second set before BYU came back and tied the score at 12-12. The visitors used a 10-4 run to push their lead to 22-16 and force the Cougars to call a timeout before eventually winning, 25-18.
BYU scored the first five points as it pulled out to an early 11-2 lead in the third set. After the early lead, the closest Winnipeg got was eight points at 14-8 as the Cougars cruised to a 25-13 win.
In the fourth set, the two teams traded points early as neither team was able to pull away by more than three points. A 3-1 run by BYU then gave it a 13-11 lead and forced Winnipeg to call a timeout. The Cougars pushed their lead to five points twice before winning, 25-21, to force the decisive fifth set.
Winnipeg jumped out to an early 5-3 lead in the final set to force BYU to call a timeout. The Cougars responded with a 7-4 run to take their first lead at 10-9 since leading 2-1 in the beginning of the set to force a timeout from the visitors. BYU scored five of the last seven points to win, 15-11.
BYU travels to Chicago for its first match of the regular season against Loyola on Jan. 3 at 7:00 CST.
Jared Houghton is a Sports Information Director who works in the BYU Athletic Communications with the men's and women's swimming teams. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions relating to swimming.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 29
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 25