BYU football: Cougars seek big improvement on offense during offseason
“As a quarterback, Cody’s been the biggest security blanket for me to have,” Hill said. “If we do get one-on-one coverage out there with Cody, I had no hesitation to throw it to him. He usually comes down with it. I’ve loved playing with Cody. He’s been a good friend to me, and really fun to play with.”
When asked to recap his career, Hoffman said, “It’s been great. With Coach Mendenhall’s leadership keeping me in line, and just working hard in school, it’s been great. I’m definitely going to miss this experience. I don’t think it’s hit me yet (that his career is over). But I’ve had a great time.”
BYU’s special teams suffered a major breakdown in kick coverage in the Fight Hunger Bowl. The Huskies gained 168 yards on three kickoff returns, including a 100-yard touchdown return in the second quarter.
Mendenhall said it’s something he will examine during the offseason.
“When there are multiple mistakes in the same area,” he said, “it deserves a closer look.”
Van Noy’s signature play against Washington came late in the first quarter when the Huskies had fourth-and-1 at the Cougar 3-yard line. Van Noy burst into the backfield and tackled running back Bishop Sankey for a 9-yard loss.
“Kyle made a lot of plays tonight. He played hard and he played physical,” Mendenhall said afterward. “I think I’ve been with Kyle long enough where you sometimes take him for granted, that he makes all these plays. I think his career has been summarized pretty much, when critical plays need to be made, he just kind of makes them. That’s hard to do. We’ll miss him.”
Despite BYU’s five-loss season, and its first bowl defeat since a setback to Arizona in the 2008 Las Vegas Bowl, Van Noy said the program progressed in 2013.
“We made another jump,” Van Noy said. “Many people don’t think that, but on the inside, for BYU, we made a jump.”
How far forward can the Cougars jump next year? The process of determining that will begin next Aug. 28 in East Hartford, Conn., when BYU visits UConn in the 2014 season opener.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 135
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 84
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 62
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33