At Governor Herbert's immigration roundtable of 2010, Sean Reyes made it sufficiently clear that he ardently supports legalization of residency status of persons in the country illegally and thus would teach a generation that crime pays.
This, of course, makes Reyes a favorite of anti-enforcement, pro-amnesty, pro-cheap labor, anti-sovereignty and other subversive special interest groups. In notoriously corrupt Utah, this is, one suspects, the real reason Reyes is attorney general today despite his resounding defeat in the actual elections. Retroactive legalization is the precise opposite of enforcement. It signals an official abdication of the rule of law. Isn't the first duty of an attorney general to uphold the law?
And if Reyes proclaims opposition to HB116 in a guileful — albeit plausibly deniable — effort to obfuscate his championship of the bill's actual goals and objectives (notably, legalization and continued, virtual non-enforcement of immigration laws), is this a politician society should trust?
Based on the above, the notion of Reyes restoring integrity to the attorney general's office is farcical. The state took a step backward, not forward, with Reyes' appointment. Reyes never should have been named to the post and should be replaced in 2014.
Salt Lake City
Editor's note: The first paragraph of this letter as originally published included errors made by the Deseret News. The language has been adjusted to reflect the writer's original intent.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- Letter: Dance dress code
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 103
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 87
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 64
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 40
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 36