In response to Lisa Jackson's letter ("Checks and Balances," Dec. 27), Common Core is not a federal program. It is a product of the National Governors Association. Common Core is one of the worst approaches to education, but the blame goes to our governors (Non-educators).
It does not address the students' education needs. A more practical solution would be to have various educational levels. Not all students should be preparing for college. Some should prepare for trades, others more general pursuits, and some for college.Schools should reflect this. We should have more vocational schools, fewer general educational schools, and some college prep schools. All students need consumer education.
Please don't blame Feds. They have enough blame for their failures.Look at your state leaders. We need more checks and balances right here in Utah. Oh, and we can opt out of Common Core if we want to.
- About Utah: They got exactly what they wished...
- Letter: Shredded Constitution
- My view: TPA trade agreement counts as...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies undertaken...
- In our opinion: APUSH in the wrong direction?...
- In our opinion: After court's marriage...
- Letter: Land for the young people
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: 7 inconsistencies...
- Letter: Shredded Constitution 55
- Letter: Sovereign flag 43
- In our opinion: After court's marriage... 42
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: 7... 38
- In our opinion: In wake of ACA ruling,... 29
- George F. Will: Chief Justice John... 22
- Sistas in Zion: Reaction to racial... 18
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 18