BYU football: Washington enjoys happy returns, Fight Hunger Bowl victory over BYU
But once again, BYU surrendered a 47-yard kickoff return on a short kick, and Sankey scored on another 11-yard TD to put Washington up, 21-13, with 2:36 left in the first half.
But the Cougars responded with a long drive that culminated with a 32-yard Sorensen field goal to cut the deficit to 21-16 at halftime.
At that point, BYU had outgained Washington, 297-145 (the Huskies had 147 kickoff return yards).
Washington shut out the Cougars in the second half.
Hoffman had eight catches for 109 yards in the first half. He was injured with 36 seconds left in the first half on a trick play that saw him take a pitch from running back Paul Lasike. Hoffman threw an incomplete pass to Hill and was injured on the play after absorbing a hard hit. He did return to the game in the second half. He finished with 12 catches for 167 yards.
Washington quickly built on its lead, 28-16, to start the second half by scoring on a 16-yard touchdown catch by Seferian-Jenkins after a 62-yard drive.
Later in the quarter, Robertson Daniel intercepted Price and returned it deep into Washington territory. But a personal foul on Bronson Kaufusi pushed BYU back, then the Cougars failed to move the ball. Sorensen’s 44-yard field goal attempt sailed wide left.
Just one more lost opportunity in the red zone.
NOTES: Justin Sorensen made 21 field goals (out of 25) in 2013, a BYU record for field goals made in a season, surpassing Owen and Ethan Pochman, who each hit 20 in a season. Washington’s Hau’oli Kikaha was named defensive MVP. Chris Petersen, who was hired away from Boise State, officially takes over the Washington program now that the bowl game is over.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 76
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 28
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14