'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson gives 'wife of 50 years' a surprise gift for Christmas
After quite an eventful week in the news for Phil Robertson from the hit A&E show "Duck Dynasty," the patriarch of the group has made headlines again, but this time for something more people can agree on.
Granddaughter Sadie Robertson posted to Twitter a picture of Phil Robertson and his wife Kay on Christmas night, announcing that after 50 years of marriage Phil had finally bought a wedding ring for his bride.
After 50 years of marriage Papaw Phil finally gave Mamaw Kay a wedding ring for Christmas ❤️ pic.twitter.com/PSBWqdjFAu— Sadie Robertson (@sadierob) December 26, 2013
This past year, Phil and Kay opened up about their marriage and the struggles they had early on. In a short Christian film titled "I Am Second," the couple shares how drugs and alcohol began to tear their marriage apart.
Kay, who was 16 years old when she got married, expressed the fears she had after Phil began to change.
"The drinking got worse," Kay says during the film. "I would tell my boys all the time, 'That's not your daddy. That's the devil in your daddy.’ ”
Finally Kay convinced Phil to visit with a preacher and learn about Christ. Phil explained that it was after that one visit where he learned that Jesus Christ suffered for him that he decided to serve him the rest of his life.
"I'm turning from my sinful past, and I am fixing to make a valiant attempt to be good," Phil said in the video. "I said, 'I've never tried it before.’ ”
"I've been fighting for this marriage for a long time and it's working," Kay said in the video.
This past summer, the couple renewed their vows during an episode of "Duck Dynasty" because they had never had a real wedding ceremony.
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be what...
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the...
- The factors that drive or deter teen sex
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- Families have become the scapegoat of holiday...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- Utahn on 'Biggest Loser' gets another chance...
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be... 15
- Families have become the scapegoat of... 9
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 8
- The factors that drive or deter teen sex 7
- Be thankful — there's a theology... 6
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the... 6
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere 5
- A community of theater: Utah theater... 2