I urge our four Utah congressmen to begin impeachment proceedings against judge Robert Shelby for abuse of power. Among other abuses, Shelby has shown tremendous irresponsibility for not staying the enforcement of his decision until his order could be reviewed. He based his decision on pre-trial proceedings without allowing the democratic process to play out. He refused to recognize and accept the recent Supreme Court ruling to continue the tradition of allowing states to define marriage. He relied on the minority dissent to that decision to make his own ruling.
Throughout the history of the United States, 15 federal judges have been impeached. Eight were convicted, four acquitted, and three resigned. Even if Shelby were acquitted, impeachment proceedings would be a warning to other activist judges.
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- Drew Clark: Can the Supreme Court find...
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified rhetoric
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: We can't help...
- Letter: We can do better
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about liberals...
- In our opinion: Navajo Nation looks to combat...
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling amid...
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 59
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 36
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts... 26
- Letter: We can do better 26
- Letter: Pledge for respect 24
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800... 22
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on... 20