I urge our four Utah congressmen to begin impeachment proceedings against judge Robert Shelby for abuse of power. Among other abuses, Shelby has shown tremendous irresponsibility for not staying the enforcement of his decision until his order could be reviewed. He based his decision on pre-trial proceedings without allowing the democratic process to play out. He refused to recognize and accept the recent Supreme Court ruling to continue the tradition of allowing states to define marriage. He relied on the minority dissent to that decision to make his own ruling.
Throughout the history of the United States, 15 federal judges have been impeached. Eight were convicted, four acquitted, and three resigned. Even if Shelby were acquitted, impeachment proceedings would be a warning to other activist judges.
- Everything you need to know about the...
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult...
- Letter: Utah's birthright
- My view: Utah's public education system:...
- Socratic observations — Politics are...
- Doug Robinson: So little time, so many...
- In our opinion: Salt Lake City should welcome...
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 54
- Letter: Learn the Constitution 50
- In our opinion: Explaining editorial... 44
- Letter: Utah's birthright 35
- John Florez: Corporate or public... 31
- Letter: Whole story 28
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 25
- Join the discussion: Have local police... 24