I urge our four Utah congressmen to begin impeachment proceedings against judge Robert Shelby for abuse of power. Among other abuses, Shelby has shown tremendous irresponsibility for not staying the enforcement of his decision until his order could be reviewed. He based his decision on pre-trial proceedings without allowing the democratic process to play out. He refused to recognize and accept the recent Supreme Court ruling to continue the tradition of allowing states to define marriage. He relied on the minority dissent to that decision to make his own ruling.
Throughout the history of the United States, 15 federal judges have been impeached. Eight were convicted, four acquitted, and three resigned. Even if Shelby were acquitted, impeachment proceedings would be a warning to other activist judges.
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics would be...
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass
- In our opinion: NASA's New Horizons opens up...
- Drew Clark: Utah prison volunteers provide a...
- Letter: Erratic protests
- Letter: Lagoon animals
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 68
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23
- Letter: Proper priority 23
- Letter: Voting like a liberal 22