I urge our four Utah congressmen to begin impeachment proceedings against judge Robert Shelby for abuse of power. Among other abuses, Shelby has shown tremendous irresponsibility for not staying the enforcement of his decision until his order could be reviewed. He based his decision on pre-trial proceedings without allowing the democratic process to play out. He refused to recognize and accept the recent Supreme Court ruling to continue the tradition of allowing states to define marriage. He relied on the minority dissent to that decision to make his own ruling.
Throughout the history of the United States, 15 federal judges have been impeached. Eight were convicted, four acquitted, and three resigned. Even if Shelby were acquitted, impeachment proceedings would be a warning to other activist judges.
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Why so many Americans find Trump and...
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- Rely on invisible hand?
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 34
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 32
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24
- Rely on invisible hand? 24