I urge our four Utah congressmen to begin impeachment proceedings against judge Robert Shelby for abuse of power. Among other abuses, Shelby has shown tremendous irresponsibility for not staying the enforcement of his decision until his order could be reviewed. He based his decision on pre-trial proceedings without allowing the democratic process to play out. He refused to recognize and accept the recent Supreme Court ruling to continue the tradition of allowing states to define marriage. He relied on the minority dissent to that decision to make his own ruling.
Throughout the history of the United States, 15 federal judges have been impeached. Eight were convicted, four acquitted, and three resigned. Even if Shelby were acquitted, impeachment proceedings would be a warning to other activist judges.
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift...
- My view: Drafting women a threat to religious...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans sacrifice...
- Derek B. Miller: It's my party and I'll decry...
- In our opinion: Politics and ISIS
- Jay Evensen: The IOC demonstrates again why...
- Letter: Cruz took a stand
- Letter: Acting presidential
- Letter: Guns in America 63
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 49
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 47
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- My view: What message does Melania's... 33
- Letter: Acting presidential 31
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Presidential politics... 30