I urge our four Utah congressmen to begin impeachment proceedings against judge Robert Shelby for abuse of power. Among other abuses, Shelby has shown tremendous irresponsibility for not staying the enforcement of his decision until his order could be reviewed. He based his decision on pre-trial proceedings without allowing the democratic process to play out. He refused to recognize and accept the recent Supreme Court ruling to continue the tradition of allowing states to define marriage. He relied on the minority dissent to that decision to make his own ruling.
Throughout the history of the United States, 15 federal judges have been impeached. Eight were convicted, four acquitted, and three resigned. Even if Shelby were acquitted, impeachment proceedings would be a warning to other activist judges.
- In our opinion: Legislators need to better...
- My view: The solution to Utah's water problems
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from the...
- My view: Get insurance out of health care
- My view: Is the Division of Water Resources...
- In our opinion: Why it's important to note...
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be...
- My view: 'Death with dignity' and assisted...
- Americans are skeptical that government... 58
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be... 55
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 46
- My view: Obama's veto won't save Obamacare 34
- In our opinion: Attempting to... 32
- My view: 'Death with dignity' and... 27
- In our opinion: Concerned voters a good... 23
- Trump and Sanders 22