“It’s always a challenge to speak to a youth group of that size,” Elder Holland said. “There is a concern that in such a large hall we won’t have the feeling of closeness with them. But they were really impressive. Some of them came from long distances, dressed in their Sunday best. They were very reverent and attentive.”
Elder Holland, Elder Clayton and Elder Wade participated in a panel discussion, during which they answered questions posed by some of the young people.
“We spent about 45 minutes answering questions of interest to them in a personal way,” Elder Holland said. “They asked about contemporary issues of the day, such as the secularization of society and a world in which religious beliefs are questioned. Some questions reflected personal issues, like what happens to children when parents who were married in the temple get divorced. There were questions about how they could help in ‘hastening the work,’ what they could do to better prepare for missions and the temple.”
Elder Holland said he was the only “native St. George boy” among the General Authorities who went to St. George over the weekend. “It was a thrill to see the strength of the members, not only the youth in the meeting Saturday morning but also the priesthood leaders in the meeting that afternoon. I saw men I had grown up with and sons of men I knew.
“It is heartening to think how strong the church is in the greater St. George area. I was very proud of my Southern Utah heritage.
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 108
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 38
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 35
- New friends plan to work together to... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- 5 reasons why we want to believe Jesus... 15