“It’s always a challenge to speak to a youth group of that size,” Elder Holland said. “There is a concern that in such a large hall we won’t have the feeling of closeness with them. But they were really impressive. Some of them came from long distances, dressed in their Sunday best. They were very reverent and attentive.”
Elder Holland, Elder Clayton and Elder Wade participated in a panel discussion, during which they answered questions posed by some of the young people.
“We spent about 45 minutes answering questions of interest to them in a personal way,” Elder Holland said. “They asked about contemporary issues of the day, such as the secularization of society and a world in which religious beliefs are questioned. Some questions reflected personal issues, like what happens to children when parents who were married in the temple get divorced. There were questions about how they could help in ‘hastening the work,’ what they could do to better prepare for missions and the temple.”
Elder Holland said he was the only “native St. George boy” among the General Authorities who went to St. George over the weekend. “It was a thrill to see the strength of the members, not only the youth in the meeting Saturday morning but also the priesthood leaders in the meeting that afternoon. I saw men I had grown up with and sons of men I knew.
“It is heartening to think how strong the church is in the greater St. George area. I was very proud of my Southern Utah heritage.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 66
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 8
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3