Gov. Gary Herbert and Attorney General Brian Tarbet should not spend taxpayer money fighting to prevent the constitutional right of same-sex marriage. With the recent Supreme Court ruling that DOMA violates the Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection, a fight to support Amendment Three in Utah would be fruitless and expensive.
In 1948, Harry Truman issued an order to desegregate the military. This action was instrumental in helping bring about the civil rights movement. In 2011, the military got rid of "Don’t Ask Don’t Tell" and gay service members were allowed to serve openly. I’d argue that once the military, a conservative group, has accepted a policy, the nation soon follows suit.
Please don’t be a state that actively promotes discrimination against our fellow citizens. Do the right thing. Allow all Utah citizens equal rights and protection under the law.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Declaration of Independence...
- In our opinion: Supreme Court ruling for...
- My view: Everything you think you know about...
- Letter: Patriotism has not died
- My view: Move the prison for the sake of...
- Letter: The Fourth
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the...
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws
- Letter: Shredded Constitution 95
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 51
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 31
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 26
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21