Gov. Gary Herbert and Attorney General Brian Tarbet should not spend taxpayer money fighting to prevent the constitutional right of same-sex marriage. With the recent Supreme Court ruling that DOMA violates the Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection, a fight to support Amendment Three in Utah would be fruitless and expensive.
In 1948, Harry Truman issued an order to desegregate the military. This action was instrumental in helping bring about the civil rights movement. In 2011, the military got rid of "Don’t Ask Don’t Tell" and gay service members were allowed to serve openly. I’d argue that once the military, a conservative group, has accepted a policy, the nation soon follows suit.
Please don’t be a state that actively promotes discrimination against our fellow citizens. Do the right thing. Allow all Utah citizens equal rights and protection under the law.
Salt Lake City
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 38
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 29
- Letter: Acting presidential 26
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22