Gov. Gary Herbert and Attorney General Brian Tarbet should not spend taxpayer money fighting to prevent the constitutional right of same-sex marriage. With the recent Supreme Court ruling that DOMA violates the Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection, a fight to support Amendment Three in Utah would be fruitless and expensive.
In 1948, Harry Truman issued an order to desegregate the military. This action was instrumental in helping bring about the civil rights movement. In 2011, the military got rid of "Don’t Ask Don’t Tell" and gay service members were allowed to serve openly. I’d argue that once the military, a conservative group, has accepted a policy, the nation soon follows suit.
Please don’t be a state that actively promotes discrimination against our fellow citizens. Do the right thing. Allow all Utah citizens equal rights and protection under the law.
Salt Lake City
- My view: Has Utah's new election law created...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Let us praise GDP
- In our opinion: The special session supports...
- My view: History of abolitionists teach us an...
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme Court...
- John Florez: A father's heartbreaking letter
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 79
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme... 49
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 43
- My view: Has Utah's new election law... 22
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 21
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges... 17
- My view: Biggest reason for physician... 17