New findings from Gallup's self-reported income data show that worldwide, one in five residents are living in extreme poverty.
The world's 22 percent who qualify for what the World Bank defines as extreme poverty — living on $1.25 a day or less — span across 131 countries, and 34 percent, or one in three, live on slightly higher: $2 a day.
"The World Bank Group recently set a new goal of reducing the worldwide rate of extreme poverty to no more than 3% by 2030, but Gallup's data suggest meeting that goal will require substantial growth and job creation in many countries," according to the Gallup report, released Monday. "In 86 countries, more than 3% of the population lives on $1.25 per day or less."
In African countries, the rate of people living in extreme poverty is much higher than the world average, Al Jazeera America reports.
It said, "54 percent of respondents from 27 countries live in extreme poverty. In Burundi and Liberia, the proportion is almost 90 percent," according to the article. "Estimates indicate that Africa would need to approximately halve its extreme poverty rate by 2030 if the world is to hit a 3 percent mark."
China has seen greater stability than it has in the last several years, Al Jazeera reports, as the percentage of people living in extreme poverty has dropped from 26 percent to 6 percent since 2007.
"The world’s most populous country has achieved double — and very inclusive — economic growth, bolstered by sound economic management at the national level and the introduction of a viable social safety net, better education and more expansive health care. Large-scale urbanization has redistributed a large percentage of previously rural residents to cities, where they are more productive in industrial jobs."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: emmiliewhitlock
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump over...
- Fired reporter kills 2 former co-workers on...
- KUTV back on DISH Network; KSL still dark on...
- Trump says he's proud he booted Univision's...
- Walmart to cease sales of semiautomatic rifles
- GOP presidential candidate Rand Paul to hold...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 75
- Trump starts new media feud with... 36
- What keeps teachers from staying in the... 34
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- USC's Steve Sarkisian apologizes for... 17
- Trump says he's proud he booted... 16
- US stocks pare losses after 1,000-point... 15
- Fired reporter kills 2 former... 15