Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Powerful images showing strength of faith, love of family and care for the poor are reflected in Deseret News photojournalists’ favorite photographs from 2013.
It’s difficult to sift through thousands of moments captured during the year and select just a few for this look back. Through the photojournalist's lens, readers have been able to experience the power of the human spirit and the emotions that accompany life's daily trials and triumphs.
These images have helped Utahns come together in times of tragedy and victory, from honoring fallen Draper police officer Derek Johnson or offering humanitarian aid after a deadly typhoon in the Philippines to helping facilitate the reunion of a Sudanese refugee family separated for years.
As we say goodbye to 2013, we hope these pictures help readers remember the moments we shared during an amazing year.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 114
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20