Garage fire displaces Sandy family on Christmas Day
Matt Gade, Deseret News
SANDY — A fire burned a Sandy family's garage Wednesday, but their house was spared as the flames were contained.
The family of six at 9232 S. 1195 East heard crackling about 5:45 p.m. Christmas Day and went out to discover the attached garage fully engulfed in flames, said Sandy Deputy Fire Chief Bruce Cline.
The family saved a car by pushing it out of the garage, something Cline said isn't recommended, but the rest of the structure and everything inside was lost. The house was spared.
"The garage did what it was supposed to do," Cline said. "The thick sheet rock, it held it in check, it kept it in the garage. It didn't burn up into the bedrooms above or into the kitchen area, which is a good thing."
Fire crews quickly doused the single-alarm fire and no injuries were reported, Cline said.
The family, displaced by smoke damage, was staying with relatives Wednesday night.
— McKenzie Romero
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19