Utah Jazz: Fun visit from Jazz players puts smiles on faces of hospitalized kids
“She just wanted to play basketball,” he said. “We just bounced the basketball back (and forth) after we got done with the houses. It was fun.”
Harris also got a suprise when he found out that a couple of girls actually spoke English. They let him know that right before the Jazz left.
“The whole time I was sitting there speaking Spanish. (I kept) forgetting a couple of words here and there and she spoke English the whole time,” he said. “She was just making fun of me.”
Harris, as you might imagine, couldn’t stop laughing as he recanted stories about the hospital visit.
“It was unbelievable,” he said. “I love helping children, and to be able to do something like that around Christmastime with the kids and stuff, it does wonders.”
Gordon Hayward loved seeing the kids’ faces when they interacted with tall basketball players.
"It was cool seeing them smile," the 6-foot-8 shooting guard said. "Everyone always doesn’t think we’re as tall as we are, so it’s always cool when they’re looking up to (you). We look like giants probably compared to them."
Hayward thought it was neat to learn that the medical care and groundbreaking research at this world-renowned medical facility is funded through donations. No family pays for a child's care received there.
"It puts everything in perspective for you, for sure. Those guys are going through a lot,' he said. "St. Jude is a pretty amazing facility."
Some kids and their families, no doubt, will remember a pretty amazing afternoon with their new favorite basketball players.
"(I’m) very grateful for everything that I have, truly blessed," Harris said. "Just to give back an hour or an hour and half to kids who are going to cherish that moment means a lot."
Here's hoping Harris gets better at building gingerbread houses and Kanter improves his "Candyland" skills before their next potential visit.
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 106
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 68
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 56
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 36
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 36
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for... 33