Local lawyer has quietly dispensed free legal advice at homeless resource center for 13 years
For 13 years, Kessler has offered legal assistance with no fanfare. He prefers it that way. He had to be convinced to allow the Deseret News to photograph him and to use his name.
He did so only after his wife, who achieved her dream of singing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and will retire from the renowned musical group this spring, suggested an article might inspire people to give of their talents.
“I attribute my every success to her and to God. I know God lives. I know Jesus Christ is the savior of the world. I am a witness to his glory,” Kessler said.
Kessler, who was born and raised in the Jewish faith but converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said serving other people is essentially channeling God’s unconditional love.
“When we serve them, we are able to feel the love. If we serve other people we can experience that love when we are here on earth. I think that’s what He wants.”
Kessler’s general law practice has prepared him to offer help on a wide array of issues. He does not handle immigration matters.
“I’m kind of a ham and eggs guy. Basically, I do a lot of little things for lots of people. It’s enough to sustain us,” he said.
While he’s firmly entrenched in his legal career, he occasionally dusts off his skills as a heating and cooling contractor. Like the time someone who sought his advice at the legal clinic happened to mention that his heater wasn’t working.
“I asked him for his address. On my way home, I was able to fix his heater,” Kessler said.
That was a freebie, too.
“But for the grace of God go us, right?”
For a list of other community legal resources and pro-bono clinics, visit:
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Report: Communication breakdowns contributed...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Housing prices expected to climb in 2016,...
- Heavy ski traffic highlights need for better...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial in...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 43
- State senator wants Utah to declare... 39
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- What you need to know about the effort... 15