One mother's wishes for her family come true two years after her death
Even after her death, the selfless Brenda Schmitz is still giving.
Schmitz, who died in 2011 after struggling with ovarian cancer, offered her family a Christmas a gift this year through the help of a local radio station in Des Moines, according to The Huffington Post.
The radio station, KSTZ Star 102.5, has had a “Christmas Wish” program, where it takes letters for Christmas wishes and grants them through help from outside entities "for more than 20 years," the Huffington Post reported. It was only a couple of weeks ago that the radio station received a unique request from Schmitz to give her husband and family a gift, The Huffington Post reported.
“Brenda had given specific instruction to a friend, who remains anonymous, to mail her letter to the radio station only when David had found someone new to share his life with,” according to the article. David's new partner is a woman named Jane.
In the letter, she revealed her three wishes, as seen by a video published by the radio station. The first was for her husband, David Schmitz, to honor and take care of his new partner, The Huffington Post said. She also asked for her husband to take the family on a great trip, and that the medical staff who aided Schmitz be taken for a night out, The Huffington Post said.
All three wishes were granted, The Toronto Sun reported. “The family of eight will fly to Disney World, with flights and accommodations paid for, Jane will be pampered with a massage at Disney World and three coordinated food drops will be provided to the oncology unit at Mercy Medical Center,” according to The Toronto Sun.
"She was so selfless," said David Schmitz in an interview with USA Today. "She knew what I was going to go through, and the kids especially."
But David Schmitz doesn’t think this is the last he’s seen of his wife’s selflessness, USA Today reported.
"I just don't think the story is over," he said to USA Today. "I'm prepared now, let's put it that way."
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- Dear Dad, you’re doing it all wrong (a...
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and children...
- The Clean Cut: LDS 'Voice' contestant...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 24
- Southern California conference... 12
- Pornography addiction: another reason... 11
- Erin Stewart: Is free-range parenting... 8
- The U.S. could do much more for abused... 7
- The Clean Cut: New BMW i3 Super Bowl ad... 2
- From the Homefront: The good game:... 2
- Emma Watson to star in live-action... 1