Commentary: What USU football would like for Christmas
Matt Gade, Deseret News
USU surely would have liked to have Chuckie Keeton healthy this season, but all things considered the 2013 season didn't turn out too bad. After all, the Aggies won the Mountain Division of the MWC in their first year in the conference.
Not bad at all.
But a Poinsettia Bowl win over No. 23 Northern Illinois would be a fantastic Christmas present for the fans. This would be the first time the Aggies have won back-to-back bowl games in school history, and over a ranked team to boot.
A win like that to end Utah State's season would do wonders for the Aggies' confidence as they head into the offseason. And with Chris Petersen gone from Boise State to Washington, Utah State has a real chance to establish itself as the dominant team in the Mountain Division.
Yes, Utah State would also like to take over as the dominant team in the state as well. But beating BYU and Utah on a regular basis takes momentum and confidence, and a win over the Huskies would help provide both.
Of course, beating NIU will be a tough task. The Huskies were just one game away from playing in their second-straight BCS bowl, and Jordan Lynch is one of the finest dual-threat quarterbacks in the country. That said, teams don't gain notoriety by beating teams that they're expected to beat.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- Morning links: Were the Utes the latest...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- BYU basketball analysis: Cougars' big men...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35