Commentary: What Utah basketball would like for Christmas
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Utah already received an early Christmas gift with a dominant 81-64 win over arch-rival BYU on Dec. 14. Chanting "just like football" at the defeated Cougars is enough to keep Ute fans warm all holiday season long.
So, what else would the Utah basketball team like for Christmas?
How about a win over No. 12 Oregon at home Jan. 2 to start Pac-12 play?
Utah has largely flown under the radar during non-conference play because of its No. 136 strength of schedule and its loss in its lone road game. A win over the nationally ranked Ducks would change all of that in a heartbeat.
It won't be an easy task, however. Oregon is undefeated and leads the nation in points per game with 90.3. However, the Ducks must travel to the Jon M. Huntsman Center and face the might of the MUSS.
A win over Oregon in Salt Lake City would give the Utes even more confidence as they dive into conference play. The Utes would also gain the national attention needed to secure an at-large bid to the NCAA.
In other words, this would be a gift that would keep on giving.
Of course, there is the added bonus of beating a team that BYU couldn't beat last Saturday.
Lafe Peavler is a sports writer intern at the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @MasterPeavler
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU-Utah State is a rivalry again due to...
- Twitter reacts to David Collette vs. Utah State
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35