Commentary: What Utah basketball would like for Christmas
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Utah already received an early Christmas gift with a dominant 81-64 win over arch-rival BYU on Dec. 14. Chanting "just like football" at the defeated Cougars is enough to keep Ute fans warm all holiday season long.
So, what else would the Utah basketball team like for Christmas?
How about a win over No. 12 Oregon at home Jan. 2 to start Pac-12 play?
Utah has largely flown under the radar during non-conference play because of its No. 136 strength of schedule and its loss in its lone road game. A win over the nationally ranked Ducks would change all of that in a heartbeat.
It won't be an easy task, however. Oregon is undefeated and leads the nation in points per game with 90.3. However, the Ducks must travel to the Jon M. Huntsman Center and face the might of the MUSS.
A win over Oregon in Salt Lake City would give the Utes even more confidence as they dive into conference play. The Utes would also gain the national attention needed to secure an at-large bid to the NCAA.
In other words, this would be a gift that would keep on giving.
Of course, there is the added bonus of beating a team that BYU couldn't beat last Saturday.
Lafe Peavler is a sports writer intern at the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @MasterPeavler
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- BYU football: Jamaal Williams provides...
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Utes have an array of bowl possibilities
- Poppinga has endured dark times before, hopes...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 44
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32