Commentary: What Utah basketball would like for Christmas
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Utah already received an early Christmas gift with a dominant 81-64 win over arch-rival BYU on Dec. 14. Chanting "just like football" at the defeated Cougars is enough to keep Ute fans warm all holiday season long.
So, what else would the Utah basketball team like for Christmas?
How about a win over No. 12 Oregon at home Jan. 2 to start Pac-12 play?
Utah has largely flown under the radar during non-conference play because of its No. 136 strength of schedule and its loss in its lone road game. A win over the nationally ranked Ducks would change all of that in a heartbeat.
It won't be an easy task, however. Oregon is undefeated and leads the nation in points per game with 90.3. However, the Ducks must travel to the Jon M. Huntsman Center and face the might of the MUSS.
A win over Oregon in Salt Lake City would give the Utes even more confidence as they dive into conference play. The Utes would also gain the national attention needed to secure an at-large bid to the NCAA.
In other words, this would be a gift that would keep on giving.
Of course, there is the added bonus of beating a team that BYU couldn't beat last Saturday.
Lafe Peavler is a sports writer intern at the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @MasterPeavler
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21
- Matt Carlino playing much the same at... 19
- Utah Utes still pursuing several... 15