Commentary: What Utah basketball would like for Christmas
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Utah already received an early Christmas gift with a dominant 81-64 win over arch-rival BYU on Dec. 14. Chanting "just like football" at the defeated Cougars is enough to keep Ute fans warm all holiday season long.
So, what else would the Utah basketball team like for Christmas?
How about a win over No. 12 Oregon at home Jan. 2 to start Pac-12 play?
Utah has largely flown under the radar during non-conference play because of its No. 136 strength of schedule and its loss in its lone road game. A win over the nationally ranked Ducks would change all of that in a heartbeat.
It won't be an easy task, however. Oregon is undefeated and leads the nation in points per game with 90.3. However, the Ducks must travel to the Jon M. Huntsman Center and face the might of the MUSS.
A win over Oregon in Salt Lake City would give the Utes even more confidence as they dive into conference play. The Utes would also gain the national attention needed to secure an at-large bid to the NCAA.
In other words, this would be a gift that would keep on giving.
Of course, there is the added bonus of beating a team that BYU couldn't beat last Saturday.
Lafe Peavler is a sports writer intern at the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @MasterPeavler
- Morning links: Taysom Hill profiled by ESPN;...
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has...
- Flaming spears, furry mascots and drum lines:...
- Which returned missionaries will make the...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Dick Harmon: College predictions: Utes to...
- Live blog: Utah opens year with victory over...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 77
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 69
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 40
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 29
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah?... 26
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23