Commentary: What BYU basketball would like for Christmas
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — The Cougars are already pretty gifted as far as basketball goes this season, but there's one gift that they need as they continue to develop as a team:
The gift of finishing big games.
BYU had plenty of opportunities to notch a huge win over a ranked team in non-conference play. The Cougars have played No. 11 Wichita State, No. 13 Oregon, No. 17 Iowa State and No. 22 UMass.
BYU finished 0-4 in those games.
Yes, BYU was right there in these games. A last-second Kyle Collinsworth shot could have lifted the Cougars over Iowa State and the Cougars led the Ducks for most of the second half.
Unfortunately for BYU, the only score that matters is when the clock shows 0:00.
Just an improvement in free throws would make a huge difference. The Cougars missed eight free throws and lost by two to Iowa State, and 14 free throws against Oregon and lost by four.
But finishing strong is something that the Cougars have struggled with this year against quality opponents. If BYU wants to make it to the NCAA tournament and make any sort of run there, it needs the gift of finishing.
Who knows? Maybe head coach Dave Rose will be able to play Santa and provide that gift by the end of the season.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News.
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- BYU opponent preview: Mixing Riley's system...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20