BYU women's basketball: Cougars begin conference play against Loyola Marymount
BYU women’s basketball won its 10th game of the season by defeating in-state rival Utah State on Saturday, 84-74. The win leaves the Cougars tied for their best non-conference start in program history at 10-1.
BYU stays at the Marriott Center to play its first conference game this week. The Cougars host the Loyola Marymount Lions on Saturday, Dec. 28 at 2 p.m. MST. The game will air live on BYUtv.
BYU has three players scoring in double figures, led by Jennifer Hamson who is scoring 18.5 points per game and has scored in double digits in all but one game played. Lexi Eaton follows with 15.8 points per game, and Kim Beeston contributes 12.5 points.
As a team, the Cougar women are averaging 74.3 points per game and holding opponents to 66.7 points. BYU has recorded more blocks than opponents in all games and has dished out more assists in 10 of the 11 games played to date. It has also recorded more rebounds in eight contests to date.
In the coaches’ preseason poll, BYU was picked to finish fourth in the WCC regular season race behind San Diego, Saint Mary’s and league favorite Gonzaga. Senior center Hamson was named to the preseason all-conference team, her second such honor.
About Loyola Marymount
Loyola Marymount concluded its nonconference schedule with a 3-8 record, capturing wins over New Mexico State, Northern Arizona and UNLV.
After playing 11 games, the Lions are averaging 65.4 points per game and have two players scoring in double figures.
Last year, LMU compiled a 13-18 record finishing tied for fifth place in the West Coast Conference. It returns three starters and 10 letterwinners.
BYU leads the series at 6-1. When playing in Provo, the Lions are 0-2.
During last year’s WCC race, these two teams split the series with each school winning on its home court. The Cougars and Lions met for a third time, in the quarterfinals of the WCC Championships in Las Vegas. In that game, BYU picked up the 69-57 victory.
The first game during league action was played in Provo with BYU getting the 72-53 win on Jan. 24, 2013. In the second meeting, the Lions recorded the 68-55 victory on Feb. 28, 2013, in Los Angeles.
Royce Hinton is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- The state of Utah's all-time NFL undrafted...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's...
- Dillon Robinson's career takes an unexpected,...
- Doug Robinson: What do BYU's low draft...
- Rock On: One more incentive to attend BYU
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 99
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last... 62
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 52
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 48
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 47
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 43
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in... 24