Commentary: What BYU football would like for Christmas
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
BYU's season wasn't bad by any means, but the Cougars haven't been able to break through into greatness. While many would like to have losses against Virginia and Utah back, Santa's gift needs to be geared to future wins and not simply erasing past mistakes.
Which is why BYU needs the gift of a solid and experienced offensive line.
BYU has many of the pieces needed on offense to have a great season, including quarterback Taysom Hill and running back Jamaal Williams. These two have already established themselves as BYU's most prolific rushing duo in school history.
However, the offensive line has struggled all year long, particularly since the coaching staff has rotated it more times than a merry-go-round. BYU's offensive line issues are particularly clear in the Cougars' four losses this season against bigger and more talented defensive linemen. Furthermore, BYU's offensive line woes also showed up in games the Cougars won, such as the most recent game against Nevada.
Imagine how 2013 could have been different with an experienced line. While the Cougars probably wouldn't have run the table, they'd likely have double-digit wins right now.
Plus, this gift is much more useful than asking for games back. While BYU's 2014 schedule won't be as difficult as 2013 was, it will need solid line play if it wants to make a national impact next season.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 36
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a... 36
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us... 33
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 33