Commentary: What BYU football would like for Christmas
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
BYU's season wasn't bad by any means, but the Cougars haven't been able to break through into greatness. While many would like to have losses against Virginia and Utah back, Santa's gift needs to be geared to future wins and not simply erasing past mistakes.
Which is why BYU needs the gift of a solid and experienced offensive line.
BYU has many of the pieces needed on offense to have a great season, including quarterback Taysom Hill and running back Jamaal Williams. These two have already established themselves as BYU's most prolific rushing duo in school history.
However, the offensive line has struggled all year long, particularly since the coaching staff has rotated it more times than a merry-go-round. BYU's offensive line issues are particularly clear in the Cougars' four losses this season against bigger and more talented defensive linemen. Furthermore, BYU's offensive line woes also showed up in games the Cougars won, such as the most recent game against Nevada.
Imagine how 2013 could have been different with an experienced line. While the Cougars probably wouldn't have run the table, they'd likely have double-digit wins right now.
Plus, this gift is much more useful than asking for games back. While BYU's 2014 schedule won't be as difficult as 2013 was, it will need solid line play if it wants to make a national impact next season.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News.
- Quiz: How much do you really know about BYU...
- BYU football media day: Live coverage
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: How well do you remember BYU's 1984...
- Sitake making transition from longtime...
- About Utah: Miracle Bowl BYU receiver Ryan...
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans proclaimed...
- Several Utahns competing in this week's...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 63
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20