Commentary: What BYU football would like for Christmas
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
BYU's season wasn't bad by any means, but the Cougars haven't been able to break through into greatness. While many would like to have losses against Virginia and Utah back, Santa's gift needs to be geared to future wins and not simply erasing past mistakes.
Which is why BYU needs the gift of a solid and experienced offensive line.
BYU has many of the pieces needed on offense to have a great season, including quarterback Taysom Hill and running back Jamaal Williams. These two have already established themselves as BYU's most prolific rushing duo in school history.
However, the offensive line has struggled all year long, particularly since the coaching staff has rotated it more times than a merry-go-round. BYU's offensive line issues are particularly clear in the Cougars' four losses this season against bigger and more talented defensive linemen. Furthermore, BYU's offensive line woes also showed up in games the Cougars won, such as the most recent game against Nevada.
Imagine how 2013 could have been different with an experienced line. While the Cougars probably wouldn't have run the table, they'd likely have double-digit wins right now.
Plus, this gift is much more useful than asking for games back. While BYU's 2014 schedule won't be as difficult as 2013 was, it will need solid line play if it wants to make a national impact next season.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts addiction by...
- Randy Hollis: Finally, the state's 'Big Four'...
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 39
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23