Commentary: What the Utah Jazz would like for Christmas
Jason DeCrow, AP
The Jazz need plenty of gifts from Santa this Christmas.
Utah is in the bottom third of the NBA in points (No. 27), assists (No. 27), field goal percentage (No. 24), 3-point shot percentage (No. 23), scoring efficiency (No. 25), rebounds (No. 24) and rebound differential (No. 25). Last but certainly not least, the Jazz are dead last in the Western Conference with an 8-22 record.
But there’s one thing that the Jazz would like for Christmas more than anything, including wins:
Whether or not the Jazz are intentionally tanking to pick up a lottery pick, a guarantee to pick up Parker would be the best Christmas gift the Jazz could ask for. The 6-foot-8, 235-pound forward averages 22.1 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game.
Sure, Utah would benefit from any of the other top prospects, including Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon. But Parker brings more to the table than just great basketball.
He would draw crowds to EnergySolutions Arena in droves.
Parker is LDS, and even though he chose Duke over BYU he still has a solid following from the local LDS community. Plus, he wouldn’t divide BYU and Utah fans the same way that Jimmer Fredette would if he came to Salt Lake City.
Despite all of the Jazz’ other problems, if they could receive the gift of Parker for Christmas, they would smile all the way through the difficult season ahead.
Lafe Peavler is a sportswriter intern at the Deseret News.
- Utah's Jordan Loveridge enjoys 'great...
- Jazz notes: Arizona's Ryan Anderson among the...
- Frank Vogel out in Indiana after 5-plus seasons
- Damian Lillard gets tested by Warriors, looks...
- Carroll scores 21, Raptors beat Heat in OT to...
- The 1998 NBA draft redone: Did the Jazz make...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Mike Sorensen: These awful NBA free-throw...
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 28
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 18
- Jazz look for improvement at point... 7
- Morning links: Former Ute Kenneth Scott... 7
- For some Jazz players, their future is... 5
- Mike Sorensen: These awful NBA... 5
- Utah's Jordan Loveridge to work out for... 4
- Utah's Jordan Loveridge enjoys 'great... 2