Amy Donaldson: Remembering those moments in sports when we were reminded to be better people
KSL YouTube screen shot
We talk a lot about what’s wrong with sports, and in turn, society.
And quite often, our shame is justified.
But it’s worth discussing that there are also times when athletics brings out the best in us. Most of the value to be found in athletics comes with participation. But sometimes being a spectator, even a fan, enables us to be inspired and uplifted in a way few other activities allow.
As 2013 comes to a close, I compiled a few of my favorite sports moments from the past year. The fact that these heroes emerged in junior high gymnasiums and high school football fields doesn’t diminish their importance. In fact, the humble scenes where these stories of compassion and generosity emerged may speak even more eloquently of what the games can teach all of us.
Whether we play, coach, critique or cheer, stories like these are reminders that as often as the games give us a chance to be stronger and more determined, they also give us the chance to be generous.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28