Amy Donaldson: Remembering those moments in sports when we were reminded to be better people
KSL YouTube screen shot
We talk a lot about what’s wrong with sports, and in turn, society.
And quite often, our shame is justified.
But it’s worth discussing that there are also times when athletics brings out the best in us. Most of the value to be found in athletics comes with participation. But sometimes being a spectator, even a fan, enables us to be inspired and uplifted in a way few other activities allow.
As 2013 comes to a close, I compiled a few of my favorite sports moments from the past year. The fact that these heroes emerged in junior high gymnasiums and high school football fields doesn’t diminish their importance. In fact, the humble scenes where these stories of compassion and generosity emerged may speak even more eloquently of what the games can teach all of us.
Whether we play, coach, critique or cheer, stories like these are reminders that as often as the games give us a chance to be stronger and more determined, they also give us the chance to be generous.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Jazz forward Trevor Booker assists Utah...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 45
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 32
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30