Amy Donaldson: Remembering those moments in sports when we were reminded to be better people
KSL YouTube screen shot
We talk a lot about what’s wrong with sports, and in turn, society.
And quite often, our shame is justified.
But it’s worth discussing that there are also times when athletics brings out the best in us. Most of the value to be found in athletics comes with participation. But sometimes being a spectator, even a fan, enables us to be inspired and uplifted in a way few other activities allow.
As 2013 comes to a close, I compiled a few of my favorite sports moments from the past year. The fact that these heroes emerged in junior high gymnasiums and high school football fields doesn’t diminish their importance. In fact, the humble scenes where these stories of compassion and generosity emerged may speak even more eloquently of what the games can teach all of us.
Whether we play, coach, critique or cheer, stories like these are reminders that as often as the games give us a chance to be stronger and more determined, they also give us the chance to be generous.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Dick Harmon: How much swagger BYU finds after...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25