High school boys basketball: Utah schools shine at Jerry Tarkanian Classic
"He has everything you want," observed Hill, who saw Jackson perform up close for the first time over the weekend. "I think he's one of the top sophomores in the country from what I've seen. I'd put him up against just about anyone."
As for Haws, he was his usual dominating self in all four games. The senior is as well-seasoned as anyone in such tournaments and it showed.
"I can't say enough about what he does for us," Lewis said.
Both Utah State and BYU scored big time in landing Bountiful junior guard Sam Merrill and junior forward Zac Seljaas, respectively. Both players were at the top of their games in Las Vegas — pacing the Braves to a 3-1 tournament record.
"Sam Merrill is simply a winner," said Bountiful coach Mike Maxwell. "He'll do whatever it takes to win and I think I've lost around just five games since he started playing for me."
The 6-foot-4 Merrill created all sorts of matchup problems for opponents over the weekend, as did the 6-foot-7 Seljaas, who can play and defend the point as well as the post.
"Seljaas is a very versatile player that is still learning how good he can be," Maxwell said. "He's long; he handles the ball well; he has good instincts on both ends. He's really developed well and that will continue."
Boy to man
Orem big man and BYU signee Dalton Nixon performed very well throughout the tournament — averaging 22.5 points per game.
"Dalton has simply become a man since last season with his approach to the game," Holt said. "Last year he was more of a spot-up guy who didn't attack the rim all that much, but that's changed. He's become a true inside-outside threat this season and you're seeing the benefits."
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 96
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 19
- Jazz lose to undermanned, tired... 16