“I thought we handled (our) zone (defense) very well,” BYU head coach Jeff Judkins said. “I thought we made some good adjustments at the second half with it. We haven’t played it a lot so we made some mistakes we shouldn’t have, but for the most part I thought we did a good job.”
BYU (10-1) held the Aggies (6-4) to 38 percent from the field and 29 percent from the 3-point line.
Hamson led the team once again with 24 points and 12 rebounds with 17 free-throw attempts. Beeston followed with 22 points, shooting 5-of-9 from the 3-point line.
The Aggies started the game strong, pressuring the Cougars defensively with two defenders on the ball and matching the Cougars baskets.
Hamson scored 11 points under the basket in the first half, while Beeston drained three 3-pointers in the first 10 minutes of the game and totaled 15 points at the half.
With 1:30 left in the first half, the Aggies managed to tie the game at 37-37. Beeston made it to the line twice, and Stephanie Rovetti once to help the Cougars regain the lead. In the final seconds of the first half, Makenzi Morrison hit her second 3-pointer of the game to leave the score 46-41 at the half.
The Aggies worked to earn their points back at the start of the second half, tying the game at 47-47. The Cougars then went on a 10-1 run in attempt to pull away. Lexi Eaton and Beeston each hit a three, and Ashley Garfield played aggressively to make it to the line and keep the ball in BYU hands. Garfield earned a career-high seven assists with a season-high 15 rebounds.
The Cougars took their largest lead of the game, 65-56, after yet another three by Beeston with 10:44 left in the first half.
Franny Vaaulu and Elise Nelson of Utah State fouled out with under 10 minutes to go. The Aggie offense worked hard to break the Cougars defense and closed the gap to 68-65 with five minutes to go.
An intentional foul from Utah State’s Makenlee Williams put Eaton on the line for two extra points. Kylie Maeda nailed the coffin in the final minute with a hard drive down the lane for a jumper and two points at the line to end the game, 84-74.
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Guest commentary: BYU football and basketball...
- Aggie linebackers stick together in third...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 18
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 15
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12