BYU football: Jamaal Williams, Taysom Hill are most prolific rushing duo in BYU history
But on BYU’s opening possession of the second half, Williams got BYU on the scoreboard with a 66-yard touchdown run. He took a handoff on second-and-1 and burst through a hole, sprinting into the end zone untouched.
That TD sparked not only the offense, but the defense, too.
“That set the tone for us in the second half,” said senior defensive back Daniel Sorensen. “It gave us the energy and momentum that we needed. We needed a big play somewhere, on offense or defense. To get it so quick and so early, that might have given us that push. That was big.”
Senior wide receiver JD Falslev is happy to see Williams’ success.
“He’s a special player to watch. He doesn’t need much of a hole to run through,” he said. “He’s an unbelievable running back. I’m excited for his future. He definitely sparked us and that helped us getting the wheels rolling in the second half (against Nevada).”
Later in that game, Hill had a 35-yard touchdown run that all but sealed the victory.
Giving opportunities for Hill and Williams to run was all part of the Cougars’ second-half game plan against Nevada.
“Right at the end of the first half, we knew that was the direction we would have to go,” coach Bronco Mendenhall said. “The combination of running the football with Jamaal and Taysom and throwing the quick game, and moving the chains that way, that was the difference. That approach helped us. Taysom especially, and Jamaal running the ball physically, both of those two, I thought, was the difference in the game.”
No doubt, BYU will rely heavily on Williams and Hill against Washington in the Fight Hunger Bowl.
Jeff, sending this back so you can add some quotes from Thursday's availability. Thanks.
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Utah State students plan a 'beard out' for...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Stafford throws 5 TDs, BYU alum Ansah picks...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 50
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31