Samantha Mary Julian, director of the Governor's Office of Energy Development, said several solar farms are being proposed for Utah, including the Iron County sun farm, but they remain in various stages.
"Utah is right on the verge of having a solar farm. There are just a few sticklers that makes it tough," Julian said. "There are a handful of issues that can take a project down if you don't do it right. You can either achieve them and accomplish it, or they can become a barrier."
Such things include what technology to use, who will take the power, whether the geographic location is right and whether the pricing for the power makes economic sense, she said.
"There are a lot of pieces that have to fall into place for them to come to fruition," echoed Sara Baldwin, Utah Clean Energy's policy expert in solar development.
Julian's office is working with Energy Capital Group's project proposed for Millard County.
Detailed in a September announcement, the 300-megawatt photovoltaic solar project involves leased land from the Utah School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration in Millard County, but it's some time away from turning any dirt.
The company is working with state officials to qualify for an alternative energy tax credit for the project and is awaiting approval from Millard County officials for its operating permit.
A benefit of that project, Julian said, is that it is situated close to the Intermountain Power Plant, so transmission of the power wouldn't be a hurdle.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: amyjoi16
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 23
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15