Samantha Mary Julian, director of the Governor's Office of Energy Development, said several solar farms are being proposed for Utah, including the Iron County sun farm, but they remain in various stages.
"Utah is right on the verge of having a solar farm. There are just a few sticklers that makes it tough," Julian said. "There are a handful of issues that can take a project down if you don't do it right. You can either achieve them and accomplish it, or they can become a barrier."
Such things include what technology to use, who will take the power, whether the geographic location is right and whether the pricing for the power makes economic sense, she said.
"There are a lot of pieces that have to fall into place for them to come to fruition," echoed Sara Baldwin, Utah Clean Energy's policy expert in solar development.
Julian's office is working with Energy Capital Group's project proposed for Millard County.
Detailed in a September announcement, the 300-megawatt photovoltaic solar project involves leased land from the Utah School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration in Millard County, but it's some time away from turning any dirt.
The company is working with state officials to qualify for an alternative energy tax credit for the project and is awaiting approval from Millard County officials for its operating permit.
A benefit of that project, Julian said, is that it is situated close to the Intermountain Power Plant, so transmission of the power wouldn't be a hurdle.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: amyjoi16
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Officials tackling existing, expected...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 61
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15