Book review: Family bonding, finding a missing friend in ‘Desperate Measures’
“Desperate Measures” by Kristen McKendry is a fun mystery novel shown through the eyes of a Latter-day Saint mother in Canada.
Annie Fisher has eight rambunctious children and on an average day, they’re the main source of her worries — that is until a close family friend, Angus Puddicombe, goes missing.
Angus had recently sent an updated version of his book with the solution to a 100-year-old mystery to his publishers. After days and days of him not showing up at work, or bothering to call the Fishers, Annie began to worry and realized it was finally time to call the police.
Annie, being extremely determined, starts piecing together the puzzle of what happened to Angus. As the clock is ticking down, and hope begins to fade, the family turns to the Lord for help. The clues lead to more and more questions but with the help of her entire family, they’re able to slowly form a game plan.
This story walks readers through the daily motions of a Mormon mother of eight. Through Annie’s trials in making lunches, getting the kids to school on time, McKendry walks readers through the mother’s decisions on how to best keep her children safe.
Throughout, there is mild violence involving kidnapping, embezzlement, arson and breaking and entering. This novel incorporates many strong gospel principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints including family home evening, family prayer, visiting teaching and having faith.
McKendry graduated from Brigham Young University and studied linguistics. Her role as a mother of three allowed her to give readers a glimpse of what it is truly like to raise children. Her website is at kristenmckendry.webs.com.
Ashlynn Green is a wife, a daughter, a sister, and a soon-to-be mother. Her email is email@example.com.
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2