Book review: Family bonding, finding a missing friend in ‘Desperate Measures’
“Desperate Measures” by Kristen McKendry is a fun mystery novel shown through the eyes of a Latter-day Saint mother in Canada.
Annie Fisher has eight rambunctious children and on an average day, they’re the main source of her worries — that is until a close family friend, Angus Puddicombe, goes missing.
Angus had recently sent an updated version of his book with the solution to a 100-year-old mystery to his publishers. After days and days of him not showing up at work, or bothering to call the Fishers, Annie began to worry and realized it was finally time to call the police.
Annie, being extremely determined, starts piecing together the puzzle of what happened to Angus. As the clock is ticking down, and hope begins to fade, the family turns to the Lord for help. The clues lead to more and more questions but with the help of her entire family, they’re able to slowly form a game plan.
This story walks readers through the daily motions of a Mormon mother of eight. Through Annie’s trials in making lunches, getting the kids to school on time, McKendry walks readers through the mother’s decisions on how to best keep her children safe.
Throughout, there is mild violence involving kidnapping, embezzlement, arson and breaking and entering. This novel incorporates many strong gospel principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints including family home evening, family prayer, visiting teaching and having faith.
McKendry graduated from Brigham Young University and studied linguistics. Her role as a mother of three allowed her to give readers a glimpse of what it is truly like to raise children. Her website is at kristenmckendry.webs.com.
Ashlynn Green is a wife, a daughter, a sister, and a soon-to-be mother. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 72
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 64
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 47
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 40
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 29
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 17