Book review: Family bonding, finding a missing friend in ‘Desperate Measures’
“Desperate Measures” by Kristen McKendry is a fun mystery novel shown through the eyes of a Latter-day Saint mother in Canada.
Annie Fisher has eight rambunctious children and on an average day, they’re the main source of her worries — that is until a close family friend, Angus Puddicombe, goes missing.
Angus had recently sent an updated version of his book with the solution to a 100-year-old mystery to his publishers. After days and days of him not showing up at work, or bothering to call the Fishers, Annie began to worry and realized it was finally time to call the police.
Annie, being extremely determined, starts piecing together the puzzle of what happened to Angus. As the clock is ticking down, and hope begins to fade, the family turns to the Lord for help. The clues lead to more and more questions but with the help of her entire family, they’re able to slowly form a game plan.
This story walks readers through the daily motions of a Mormon mother of eight. Through Annie’s trials in making lunches, getting the kids to school on time, McKendry walks readers through the mother’s decisions on how to best keep her children safe.
Throughout, there is mild violence involving kidnapping, embezzlement, arson and breaking and entering. This novel incorporates many strong gospel principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints including family home evening, family prayer, visiting teaching and having faith.
McKendry graduated from Brigham Young University and studied linguistics. Her role as a mother of three allowed her to give readers a glimpse of what it is truly like to raise children. Her website is at kristenmckendry.webs.com.
Ashlynn Green is a wife, a daughter, a sister, and a soon-to-be mother. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Leading Jordanian Muslim and Christian...
- Bishop Gérald Caussé announced...
- Major LDS growth in Africa unaffected by...
- Provo's Waffle Love made time for church...
- LDS YouTube family, the Shaytards, featured...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 56
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith... 52
- Sunday School leader apologizes for... 40
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Defending the Faith: Perhaps the... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- The spiritual revolution taking place... 21
- Leading Jordanian Muslim and Christian... 14