'A dream fulfilled': Lindon couple closing doors of beloved community theater
John Renstrom said the best thing about community theater is not knowing what’s going to happen on stage, and that comes with the untrained actors.
"These are people that just want to do it," he said. "They have given so many people such great opportunities over the years."
Sally Dietlein is a granddaughter-in-law to Ruth and Nathan Hale, longtime friends of the Renstroms.
Dietlein, one of the founders of the Hale Center Theater, said the Valley Center Playhouse has been a home for many actors — and one that cannot be replaced.
She applauded the Renstroms' mission to provide a family-friendly environment for the arts.
"We wish them well and say three cheers for years and years and years of wonderful theatrical efforts," Dietlein said.
John Renstrom said the green velvet seats that came from the church administration building will be sold after about 100 years of service, and the costumes will be donated to Mountain View High School.
The theater was sold to a neighboring music studio, and the existing building will be torn down, Day said.
She said she will especially miss the theater in October.
"It doesn’t feel like Halloween until you see 'Hotel Frankenstein,'" Day said.
But most of all, regulars at the theater will miss Keith Renstrom dramatically welcoming audiences.
"Welcome to the Valley Center Playhouse," he announces, drawing out each word with gusto and a wave of his arms.
"I think it was my mom's dream to do theater," Day said. "It was so amazing because my dad, even though he didn’t have a lot of theater experience, he just supported her, and they did that dream together."
Jody Renstrom said it’s been a "delightful life."
"Working in the theater and meeting all of the wonderful people that we’ve met, it’s just been a delight," she said. "We’ve had many, many spiritual experiences and many miracles take place, and we have such fond memories. We have no regrets."
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Man dies in head-on collision after truck...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Man killed in hostage standoff with West...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump over...
- UHP locates owner of doghouse that sparked...
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now...
- Alzheimer's, fall claim life of Elder Keith...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 75
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 69
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 20
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- 'A war on talent': Jobless rate at 3.6... 15
- Herriman residents upset rehab facility... 13
- Stolen identity: Congressman Jason... 12