'A dream fulfilled': Lindon couple closing doors of beloved community theater
John Renstrom said the best thing about community theater is not knowing what’s going to happen on stage, and that comes with the untrained actors.
"These are people that just want to do it," he said. "They have given so many people such great opportunities over the years."
Sally Dietlein is a granddaughter-in-law to Ruth and Nathan Hale, longtime friends of the Renstroms.
Dietlein, one of the founders of the Hale Center Theater, said the Valley Center Playhouse has been a home for many actors — and one that cannot be replaced.
She applauded the Renstroms' mission to provide a family-friendly environment for the arts.
"We wish them well and say three cheers for years and years and years of wonderful theatrical efforts," Dietlein said.
John Renstrom said the green velvet seats that came from the church administration building will be sold after about 100 years of service, and the costumes will be donated to Mountain View High School.
The theater was sold to a neighboring music studio, and the existing building will be torn down, Day said.
She said she will especially miss the theater in October.
"It doesn’t feel like Halloween until you see 'Hotel Frankenstein,'" Day said.
But most of all, regulars at the theater will miss Keith Renstrom dramatically welcoming audiences.
"Welcome to the Valley Center Playhouse," he announces, drawing out each word with gusto and a wave of his arms.
"I think it was my mom's dream to do theater," Day said. "It was so amazing because my dad, even though he didn’t have a lot of theater experience, he just supported her, and they did that dream together."
Jody Renstrom said it’s been a "delightful life."
"Working in the theater and meeting all of the wonderful people that we’ve met, it’s just been a delight," she said. "We’ve had many, many spiritual experiences and many miracles take place, and we have such fond memories. We have no regrets."
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- Police search for two suspects in downtown...
- Willard hunting guide shot while accompanying...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 81
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 53
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 31
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Plan to relocate prison to Salt Lake... 14