'A dream fulfilled': Lindon couple closing doors of beloved community theater
John Renstrom said the best thing about community theater is not knowing what’s going to happen on stage, and that comes with the untrained actors.
"These are people that just want to do it," he said. "They have given so many people such great opportunities over the years."
Sally Dietlein is a granddaughter-in-law to Ruth and Nathan Hale, longtime friends of the Renstroms.
Dietlein, one of the founders of the Hale Center Theater, said the Valley Center Playhouse has been a home for many actors — and one that cannot be replaced.
She applauded the Renstroms' mission to provide a family-friendly environment for the arts.
"We wish them well and say three cheers for years and years and years of wonderful theatrical efforts," Dietlein said.
John Renstrom said the green velvet seats that came from the church administration building will be sold after about 100 years of service, and the costumes will be donated to Mountain View High School.
The theater was sold to a neighboring music studio, and the existing building will be torn down, Day said.
She said she will especially miss the theater in October.
"It doesn’t feel like Halloween until you see 'Hotel Frankenstein,'" Day said.
But most of all, regulars at the theater will miss Keith Renstrom dramatically welcoming audiences.
"Welcome to the Valley Center Playhouse," he announces, drawing out each word with gusto and a wave of his arms.
"I think it was my mom's dream to do theater," Day said. "It was so amazing because my dad, even though he didn’t have a lot of theater experience, he just supported her, and they did that dream together."
Jody Renstrom said it’s been a "delightful life."
"Working in the theater and meeting all of the wonderful people that we’ve met, it’s just been a delight," she said. "We’ve had many, many spiritual experiences and many miracles take place, and we have such fond memories. We have no regrets."
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 75
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 22