Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and others defend 'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson
"May I suggest: Make your stand. You will never have a better chance. And quite honestly, you’re our best shot as people," Beck said. "If we don’t get people to wake up to the fact that this is fascism, that we are not allowed to have another opinion they’re never going to wake up. And you’re our best shot."
Others have not been so quick to call out the network TV station. The Human Rights Campaign, an LGBT equality-rights advocacy group and GLAAD, an LGBT media monitoring organization, largely influenced the suspension of Phil Robertson regarding his "homophobic" remarks.
In regard to the actions of Phil Robertson, HRC president Chad Griffin released a statement that appeared in the Washington Post.
"As a role model on a show that attracts millions of viewers, Phil Robertson has a responsibility to set a positive example for young Americans — not shame and ridicule them because of who they are," Griffin said.
Griffin also asked “for A&E to condemn Robertson’s remarks and 'make clear they don’t support his views,' " according to the Washington Post.
A&E recently released a statement from Phil Robertson addressing the controversy: "I myself am a product of the '60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.
"However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- Dear mom on the iPhone: Let me tell you... 75
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- Erin Stewart: Prom dress modesty raises... 7
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- Top reasons couples divorce... 4
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2