New allegation: John Swallow asked for $120K from jailed businessman
New recording, texts show worries about keeping information secret
“I was mystified that the feds closed their investigation of Mr. Swallow without even contacting us to see if we might have relevant information and apparently without learning that years’ worth of Mr. Swallow’s emails were unavailable," Porter said, referring to the House committee's revelation that large portions of data connected with Swallow's electronic devices are missing.
“I don’t know what that says about the federal investigation,” she said.
Other emails and communications between Swallow and Johnson the Deseret News obtained date back to 2009, when Swallow was the lead fundraiser for Shurtleff’s brief run for U.S. Senate. Johnson was a lead fundraiser for Shurtleff's campaign, as well as Mike Lee's successful bid for the same seat in 2010.
The email exchanges discuss a range of topics from business opportunities involving iWorks to humanitarian efforts. Together, Johnson and Swallow helped a Utah teen get badly needed medical care.
In March 2011 — three months before Johnson was arrested and four months after his company, iWorks, was sued by the FTC — a series of text messages between Swallow and Johnson appear to show that Swallow is concerned about privacy after Johnson suggests they talk on the phone rather than in person.
“NP. Just didn’t know if anyone would be listening,” Swallow writes in an exchange of text messages dated March 16, 2011.
“This is my costa rica phone no way anyone is listening here. And I think it’s very unlikly (sic) anyone is on any other phone too,” Johnson replies.
“OK. Wanted to talk to you about a recent trip to DC. I am travelling (sic) in rural Utah today and tomorrow. I’ll try to call Friday,” Swallow texted.
Whether any phone call took place is unknown.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Charges: Man murdered woman who had been...
- Elderly man hit, killed after chasing dog...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 37
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9