Mormon Newsroom Instagram account
The Mormon Newsroom has added another social media account to its list. It it is now an official member of the photo- and video-sharing service Instagram. The Mormon Newsroom can also be found on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced the account this week and shared one of the first videos posted to the account, a glimpse of the Christmas lighting ceremony at the Washington D.C. Temple.
Other videos on the account include a time-lapse video of the Temple Square Christmas lights in Salt Lake City, a clip of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert and an address from Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve.
Instagram, which was founded in October 2010, now has 150 million active users, according to Forbes, and is continuing to grow. Forbes also reported that the app has also gone international, with more than 60 percent of its users coming from outside the United States. Facebook bought Instagram in 2012.
Although the Mormon Newsroom has only just recently joined Instagram, as of Wednesday morning the account already had four posts and almost 500 followers.
Recently, members of the Quorum of the Twelve also joined Google+ and Facebook.
Jared Covington, senior adviser over social media for the church, told Ryan Morgenegg with the LDS Church News why LDS leaders joined the social pages.
"Ultimately we wanted to provide people a safe and official way to follow the ministry of the brethren on popular social media platforms," Covington said.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Changing fields: Returned missionary college...
- Sheri Dew and Noelle Pikus-Pace arm wrestle...
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- Anything for Auni: A community rallies to...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- Defending the Faith: Some things are more...
- Family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 116
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 56
- Defending the Faith: Some things are... 40
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- California orders churches, others to... 27
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 13
- LDS Church releases video about suicide... 11