Mormon Newsroom Instagram account
The Mormon Newsroom has added another social media account to its list. It it is now an official member of the photo- and video-sharing service Instagram. The Mormon Newsroom can also be found on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced the account this week and shared one of the first videos posted to the account, a glimpse of the Christmas lighting ceremony at the Washington D.C. Temple.
Other videos on the account include a time-lapse video of the Temple Square Christmas lights in Salt Lake City, a clip of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert and an address from Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve.
Instagram, which was founded in October 2010, now has 150 million active users, according to Forbes, and is continuing to grow. Forbes also reported that the app has also gone international, with more than 60 percent of its users coming from outside the United States. Facebook bought Instagram in 2012.
Although the Mormon Newsroom has only just recently joined Instagram, as of Wednesday morning the account already had four posts and almost 500 followers.
Recently, members of the Quorum of the Twelve also joined Google+ and Facebook.
Jared Covington, senior adviser over social media for the church, told Ryan Morgenegg with the LDS Church News why LDS leaders joined the social pages.
"Ultimately we wanted to provide people a safe and official way to follow the ministry of the brethren on popular social media platforms," Covington said.
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 98
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 89
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 34
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 33
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22