Logo provided by the University of Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Maria O'Mara is the new communications director and primary media spokeswoman for the University of Utah.
O'Mara was most recently in charge of external communications for Rocky Mountain Power, handling strategic media relations and communications guidance for senior executives, marketing, community relations and government affairs.
Her prior experience includes more than 15 years in radio, television and newspaper as a reporter and editor. As News Division managing editor for Deseret Media Companies, she led the state's first fully-integrated newsroom of KSL-TV, the Deseret News, KSL radio, KSL.com and DeseretNews.com.
"We are excited to welcome Maria to the U.," said William Warren, chief marketing and communications officer. "Maria's knowledge of media and her experience managing through changing news and business environments will be a great addition to the university's communication team."
"There is so much exceptional work being done at the U.," O'Mara said. "It's no small task connecting news of that work to all the different audiences and communities eager to know it. I'm excited to be a part of that endeavor, especially as the U.'s reputation and visibility continue to grow in Utah and on the national stage."
O'Mara holds a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism from the University of Utah, and is affiliated with the Society of Professional Journalists and the Public Relations Society of America.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13