Paul Foy, Associated Press
DINOSAUR, Colo. — The first snowfall means winter has arrived at Dinosaur National Monument, and visitors' access to some areas of the monument may be limited.
On the Utah side of the monument, the roads around the Quarry Visitor Center and Exhibit Hall are maintained to provide access to the buildings. The Cub Creek Road is plowed to a parking area 1.3 miles past the Chew Ranch. The road to Josie Morris Ranch is now gated for the winter but is open to hiking, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, if snow conditions permit.
On the Colorado side, Harpers Corner Road from the Echo Park Road turnoff to the end of Harpers Corner is now closed. Harpers Corner Road will be kept open to the Echo Park Road turnoff until Dec. 31 so hunters can access nearby lands outside the monument.
On Jan. 1, the road will close at Plug Hat Butte, which is 5 miles from U.S. 40. Once the road closes to vehicular traffic for the winter, portions of Harpers Corner Drive will be open to snowmobiling, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
Other roads, including Echo Park Road, Yampa Bench Road, Island Park Road and the road to Gates of Lodore are not maintained and travel on them is not advised during the winter.
The Quarry Visitor Center and Exhibit Hall north of Jensen are open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, except for Christmas and New Year's Day. Due to limited staffing, access to the Quarry Exhibit Hall is by car caravans at 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. The Canyon Visitor Center is closed for the winter.
Dinosaur's weather is unpredictable and can change rapidly. Road maintenance may be very limited during storms or on weekends.
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 302
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36