'Get Married and Be Submissive': Controversial book teaches brides the art of submission
So you're not the perfect housewife. According to a new book by Italian author Costanza Miriano, your husband has every right to remind you of it.
If new brides are looking to have an ideal marriage, Miriano's advice is simple: "Loyal obedience, generosity and submission,” the Washington Times reported on the new controversial best seller, "Cásate y sé sumisa."
The book, which title translates into “Get Married and Be Submissive,” has been topping charts on Amazon in Spain for weeks and pulls from theology taught in the Gospel of Saint Paul teaching of a greater need for female subservience to men and to church, according to The Daily Beast.
"Her advice for newlywed women is as straightforward as the book’s title: 'If you only do what is right for you, what you think, then you are not married to a man, you are married to yourself. Instead of doing that, you should submit to him,'" the Daily Beast reported.
Arguing that wives like humiliation because it is for the greater good, Miriano illustrates the way she believes a wife should conduct herself.
"It’s true, you’re not yet an experienced cook or a perfect housewife. What’s the problem if he tells you so? Tell him that he is right, that it’s true, that you will learn," Miriano said. "On seeing your sweetness and your humility, your effort to change, this will also change him.”
And while according to Miriano, the woman should be learning and submitting in silence, the outcry has been loud and clear.
"Feminist protesters have ripped copies of the book to shreds, claiming it promotes violence against women," the Daily Beast reported.
According to the article, the country's political parties have denounced the book calling it "inequality, chauvinism and discrimination." Some leaders have called for the book to be banned.
The Washington Times reported that feminists in Italy have staged a public demonstration, tearing up copies of the book in protest.
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and Idina...
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- Piano Guys, David Archuleta, 'Nutcracker':...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Why you need to stop buying your kids so many...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says family...
- 'Fire is catching,' so catch up with Katniss
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 87
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 17
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and... 9
- Pope reinforces traditional family values 5
- Make way for a new family act in Vegas:... 5
- Katherine Heigl talks primetime... 4
- Executed American's heartbreaking... 4
- Brittany Maynard, right-to-die voice,... 4