Tabiona teacher, coach suspended amid apparent police investigation
TABIONA, Duchesne County — A popular teacher and coach at Tabiona High School is apparently the subject of a police investigation and has been suspended from his job.
Shay Price has been suspended with pay, according to Bruce Guymon, director of student services for the Duchesne County School District.
"We were contacted by law enforcement concerning one of our teachers," Guymon said Monday. "We started our own internal district investigation in response to what was alleged by law enforcement."
As part of the district investigation, Price was put on paid leave, Guymon said.
The Duchesne County Sheriff's Office would not confirm Monday that Price is the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation, or even confirm that an investigation is underway.
But Duchesne County Attorney Stephen Foote acknowledged that two sheriff's investigators interviewed Price late last week. He was questioned, but not arrested, Foote said.
The prosecutor declined to discuss the reason for the probe, as did school district officials.
"I can't comment on the investigation," Guymon said when asked whether it is related to a student safety issue.
Price's attorney, Loni DeLand, said he also could not comment on the investigation because his calls to authorities had not been returned Monday afternoon.
"I have no idea what they're going to charge him with, if anything," DeLand said.
Price, 34, has worked at Tabiona High School since 2004. In addition to teaching career and technology education classes, he has also coached baseball, boys basketball and track.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- 2 corrections officials resign in wake of...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11