Tabiona teacher, coach suspended amid apparent police investigation
TABIONA, Duchesne County — A popular teacher and coach at Tabiona High School is apparently the subject of a police investigation and has been suspended from his job.
Shay Price has been suspended with pay, according to Bruce Guymon, director of student services for the Duchesne County School District.
"We were contacted by law enforcement concerning one of our teachers," Guymon said Monday. "We started our own internal district investigation in response to what was alleged by law enforcement."
As part of the district investigation, Price was put on paid leave, Guymon said.
The Duchesne County Sheriff's Office would not confirm Monday that Price is the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation, or even confirm that an investigation is underway.
But Duchesne County Attorney Stephen Foote acknowledged that two sheriff's investigators interviewed Price late last week. He was questioned, but not arrested, Foote said.
The prosecutor declined to discuss the reason for the probe, as did school district officials.
"I can't comment on the investigation," Guymon said when asked whether it is related to a student safety issue.
Price's attorney, Loni DeLand, said he also could not comment on the investigation because his calls to authorities had not been returned Monday afternoon.
"I have no idea what they're going to charge him with, if anything," DeLand said.
Price, 34, has worked at Tabiona High School since 2004. In addition to teaching career and technology education classes, he has also coached baseball, boys basketball and track.
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- 'I feel like I do deserve to be here,' Dea...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 128
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 33
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 19