Tabiona teacher, coach suspended amid apparent police investigation
TABIONA, Duchesne County — A popular teacher and coach at Tabiona High School is apparently the subject of a police investigation and has been suspended from his job.
Shay Price has been suspended with pay, according to Bruce Guymon, director of student services for the Duchesne County School District.
"We were contacted by law enforcement concerning one of our teachers," Guymon said Monday. "We started our own internal district investigation in response to what was alleged by law enforcement."
As part of the district investigation, Price was put on paid leave, Guymon said.
The Duchesne County Sheriff's Office would not confirm Monday that Price is the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation, or even confirm that an investigation is underway.
But Duchesne County Attorney Stephen Foote acknowledged that two sheriff's investigators interviewed Price late last week. He was questioned, but not arrested, Foote said.
The prosecutor declined to discuss the reason for the probe, as did school district officials.
"I can't comment on the investigation," Guymon said when asked whether it is related to a student safety issue.
Price's attorney, Loni DeLand, said he also could not comment on the investigation because his calls to authorities had not been returned Monday afternoon.
"I have no idea what they're going to charge him with, if anything," DeLand said.
Price, 34, has worked at Tabiona High School since 2004. In addition to teaching career and technology education classes, he has also coached baseball, boys basketball and track.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 51
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- School leaders look for solutions to... 26
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- San Diego woman wins damages against... 15