Tabiona teacher, coach suspended amid apparent police investigation
TABIONA, Duchesne County — A popular teacher and coach at Tabiona High School is apparently the subject of a police investigation and has been suspended from his job.
Shay Price has been suspended with pay, according to Bruce Guymon, director of student services for the Duchesne County School District.
"We were contacted by law enforcement concerning one of our teachers," Guymon said Monday. "We started our own internal district investigation in response to what was alleged by law enforcement."
As part of the district investigation, Price was put on paid leave, Guymon said.
The Duchesne County Sheriff's Office would not confirm Monday that Price is the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation, or even confirm that an investigation is underway.
But Duchesne County Attorney Stephen Foote acknowledged that two sheriff's investigators interviewed Price late last week. He was questioned, but not arrested, Foote said.
The prosecutor declined to discuss the reason for the probe, as did school district officials.
"I can't comment on the investigation," Guymon said when asked whether it is related to a student safety issue.
Price's attorney, Loni DeLand, said he also could not comment on the investigation because his calls to authorities had not been returned Monday afternoon.
"I have no idea what they're going to charge him with, if anything," DeLand said.
Price, 34, has worked at Tabiona High School since 2004. In addition to teaching career and technology education classes, he has also coached baseball, boys basketball and track.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15