Tabiona teacher, coach suspended amid apparent police investigation
TABIONA, Duchesne County — A popular teacher and coach at Tabiona High School is apparently the subject of a police investigation and has been suspended from his job.
Shay Price has been suspended with pay, according to Bruce Guymon, director of student services for the Duchesne County School District.
"We were contacted by law enforcement concerning one of our teachers," Guymon said Monday. "We started our own internal district investigation in response to what was alleged by law enforcement."
As part of the district investigation, Price was put on paid leave, Guymon said.
The Duchesne County Sheriff's Office would not confirm Monday that Price is the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation, or even confirm that an investigation is underway.
But Duchesne County Attorney Stephen Foote acknowledged that two sheriff's investigators interviewed Price late last week. He was questioned, but not arrested, Foote said.
The prosecutor declined to discuss the reason for the probe, as did school district officials.
"I can't comment on the investigation," Guymon said when asked whether it is related to a student safety issue.
Price's attorney, Loni DeLand, said he also could not comment on the investigation because his calls to authorities had not been returned Monday afternoon.
"I have no idea what they're going to charge him with, if anything," DeLand said.
Price, 34, has worked at Tabiona High School since 2004. In addition to teaching career and technology education classes, he has also coached baseball, boys basketball and track.
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop officers...
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12