Although I have been an ex-Catholic for close to 50 years, I am extremely impressed by the new pope. Pope Francis appears to be the first bona fide spiritual leader I have ever seen.
It is my Christmas wish that religious leaders of all faiths follow his example, clearly articulating and demonstrating standards of sharing and compassion for humans everywhere. And with a little luck, perhaps even politicians will be guided by these lights.
Salt Lake City
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell
- In our opinion: Dropouts face high risk of...
- My view: New treatment can cure Hepatitis C
- Michael Gerson: A Senate takeover — No...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 150
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 67
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 52
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 29
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27