LDS Church posts article about the history of plural marriage in early Utah on its website
SALT LAKE CITY — The LDS Church continued enhancing the Gospel Topics pages on its website on Monday, posting one titled "Plural Marriage and Families in Early Utah."
The essay addresses plural marriage among Latter-day Saints between 1847 and 1890, when the practice was discontinued after church leaders issued what is known as the Manifesto. The new Gospel Topics page includes 25 footnotes, several citing research done by outside historians. It also has links to additional information.
The plural marriage page states that "Latter-day Saints do not understand all of God’s purposes for instituting" plural marriage through church prophets during the 19th century, but it describes the impact the practice had on the church and Utah and provides context for the end of the practice more than 120 years ago.
The church started to post the new topic pages on lds.org in November, with pages titled "First Vision Accounts" and "Are Mormons Christians?" The releases continued on Dec. 6 with "Race and the Priesthood."
The pages are part of a broad effort by church leaders to help members and people investigating the faith by making Gospel Topics a hub for member study and for accurate historical information about church history.
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 9
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3