Balancing act: Work, life come together at school career day
The students in my son's class all wrote thank-you notes that he brought home for me. Sure, they mostly loved the free pens, but several of them were highly complimentary of me.
"Your (sic) the amazingest writter (sic) ever," wrote one student.
"You are so cool. You are the best writer ever. Your (sic) so amazing!" wrote another.
My plan is to keep these notes with me at all times and read them anytime I need an ego boost.
I asked my son whether he enjoyed career day, and he said he loved it. In addition to my presentation, he could remember that his class was visited by a police officer and a civil engineer. He said his favorite presentation was the one from the engineer, who explained how ancient Egyptians leveled the ground on which they built the pyramids.
"I want to be an engineer when I grow up," he said, "because it would be fun to make stuff, and I'm really good at making things. ... I've made stuff out of extra Legos I've had."
I'm thrilled with his decision to pursue a career in engineering, although there's a good chance he'll change his mind by the time he's heading to college. He enjoys writing, so I'm sure he'll work on his communication skills regardless of the career he chooses.
And, according to him, I may have inspired some other budding writers with my presentation.
"After you left, everybody wanted to be a writer," my son said. "They said that my dad is awesome."
He then gave me a smile and said he liked career day "because the civil engineer came and taught us about being a civil engineer. And because you came."
Thanks, son, for teaching me how fun this particular intersection of work and life could be. I didn't need to be afraid, after all.
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching dollars...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Utah job forecast better than most states
- University of Utah entrepreneurship program...
- A Closer Look: Your (online) life after death
- The market power of pumpkin spice
- Balancing act: Sometimes a 'serious' office...
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- These are America's 10 poorest congressmen 2
- How employers can improve the nation's... 2
- Utah job forecast better than most states 2
- Save money by replacing appliances that... 1
- Retail sales are up since last month 1